"Roskilde, City of Springs" Roskilde by bpacker
Roskilde Travel Guide: 210 reviews and 692 photos
After singing endless rounds of "Wonderful, Wonderful Copehagen! " , Liz and I decided to give the Salty Queen of the Sea and the unfortunate ears of the Danes a little break by venturing northwards to Roskilde. Turned out to be a good decision, Roskilde rocks, even without its reknown Music Festival in Summer ! We had a really good, relaxing time there as it was one of the most scenic areas in Denmark. Everywhere we looked , there were rolling and lush green fields and cool, natural springs . Seems that we had the same thoughts as the ancient founder, old King Ro. Well, we had a field day hunting down all the springs in the region and taking lots of pictures of the pastoral landscape.Other than the famed springs, there was also a large and imposing church that dominated the whole landscape. The church, which we found out much later, was a UNESCO-recognised cathedral called the Roskilde Domkirke . It had hauntingly beautiful artefacts. Yes, beautiful and haunting, all at the same time. The sheer beauty of the golden alter and wooden reliefs all around the Church could steal your breath away for a few seconds. So would the creepily life-like stone likeness of the many statues that lay on the coffins in the many crypts around the church. Yes, you can say that I was spooked by the beauty in the church. So was Liz . So we clung to each other like a koala to a tree the whole time we were there ....making the Danish locals think we were gay and away from China. Well, gay or otherwise, we gals had a good time exploring this place before we proceeded to ol' Hamlet's castle in Helsingor.
Other than Roskilde Domkirke,there's also a supberb Viking and a Psychiatric musuem near the coastal hostel where we lived. No, no, those two are seperate places, there were no demented Viking in those days. Violent , yes, but not demented. Also, there is a lovely, lovely city park or "Byparken" near the Musuems. It's so pastoral than a stream runs through it. You can read more of these places in my " must do " activities...
Yeah, we had a good time at Roskilde. Perhaps, the best thing about this place is its natural beauty. The parks, springs and harbour are the best places to go to to get a little respite from all the lights and all the razzle-dazzle from Copenhagen
- Pros:Pastoral town with lush fields and natural springs. Fascinating past reflected in ancient facades in town. Newly-built hostel just next to Viking musuem.
- Cons:Can't think of anything at the moment.
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit if you're a nature/history buff
You're in the City of Springs and upon discovering a spring, you're likely to drink from one, right? Don't ! I was told... more travel advice
Trains from Copenhagen Central Station leaves for Roskilde Station every 5 - 6 times per hour during rush hours. The... more travel advice
- See All Interior of Roskilde Vandrerhjem
- Find all of Roskilde's natural springs!
- The market in the town square
bpacker's Related Pages
Roskilde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "much more than the rock festival"
- "Roskilde Cathedral – Where the Danish Kings rest"
- "My hometown Roskilde"
- "I'll be back"
- "Roskilde - More than a cathedral"
- "Roskilde, City of Springs"
- "Lovely Roskilde of the fjords"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roskilde
- Hotels in Roskilde
- Transportation in Roskilde
- Nightlife in Roskilde
- Restaurants in Roskilde
- Shopping in Roskilde
- Warnings and Dangers in Roskilde
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roskilde
- 14 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Roskilde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roskilde
Photos in RoskildeSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues