"An impression of Monet" Top 5 Page for this destination Giverny by bpacker
Giverny Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 545 photos
Writer's note: If you are reading this page, chances are, you're an art lover and you're keen to see where Claude Monet got his inspiration from. If not, never mind, just read on and learn more about this gifted painter who stunned the world with his subtle but beautiful paintings.
As much as I loved Monet's paintings, I never intended to go to go on a cycling tour of Giverny. I wanted to go to Versailles, the Mother of all Palaces, not the Mother of all Gardens ! But after I found myself in my tour agent's shop in Paris , jetlagged and bleary-eyed after 13 hours of flight from Singapore, I was told that only 3 suckers ( 2 Florida natives and a Singaporean ) from around the world signed up for it. It was a disappointment to us three sods but we cheered up almost immediately when we were offered another choice to go to Giverny.
I chose to go straight away. What else was I to do anyway? It would be a good 13 more hours before my husband would fly in from Frankfurt . Till then, I could exhuaust my husband's credit limit in Champ Elysee, go up and down the Eiffel tower and do any darn thing I wanted. But my sleep-deprived mind made me choose cycling in Giverny instead.
And that I did. Yes reader, it is possible for anybody to go on a cycling tour and enjoy art after 13 hours of flight if you're as madcapped for adventure as I am. I did enjoy myself and surprised my guide and fellow cyclists. Hell, yes, they were convinced that I would fall asleep on the wheel and fall into Monet's pond. Sad to say, I didn't provide any comic relief for the day, I spend my entire time snapping away, hoping to get an impression of Claude Monet. So read on, dear reader to see Monet's house thru the eyes of my lenses
See that fella in the jaunty beret? Well, that's a self potrait done by the great artist himself. If you're interested to know more about his 2 wives, his past as a caricature artist and how he came to discover Giverny, click here..
Here's a picture of Monet's beautiful garden. . It was just astounding to see how the lush greenery complemented the whole water setting. Well Monet might have been confessing to the truth when he said,
"Besides gardening and painting, I don't know a thing".
- Pros:Famous Japanese Bridge, The Water-lily Pond and the Flower Garden
- Cons:No point coming here if you're not into art and gardens
- In a nutshell:A Mecca for all Monet Art Lovers
Even though I'm not a sucker for flowers and gardening, I must admit that the blooms in Monet's main garden are... more travel advice
Cyling is the best way to sight-see Giverny. The roads are quiet, the surrounding areas are lush with greenery and the... more travel advice
bpacker's Related Pages
Giverny Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An impression of Monet"
- "Monet's Garden"
- "Monet's Garden"
- "FLOWERS & MORE FLOWERS - THIS IS GIVERNY"
- "Monet Makes the World Go Round"
- "On and Off the Road in Monet's Garden in Giverny"
- "Giverny is more than Monet's Garden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Giverny
- Hotels in Giverny
- Transportation in Giverny
- Restaurants in Giverny
- Shopping in Giverny
- Warnings and Dangers in Giverny
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Giverny
- 16 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Giverny?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Giverny
- Posted in Travel Lijiang Forum "Re: Moon Inn"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Giverny travel pages
- updated a Giverny Travelogue "Monet and his Japanese prints"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Monet's Water Garden and his paintings"
- Wrote a Review Beautiful Flowers in Clos Normand about Claude Monet's Gardens - Clos Normand in Giverny Things to Do
Photos in GivernySee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues