"An impression of Monet" Top 5 Page for this destination Giverny by bpacker

Giverny Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 530 photos

An incidental choice

Writer's note: If you are reading this page, chances are, you're an art lover and you're keen to see where Claude Monet got his inspiration from. If not, never mind, just read on and learn more about this gifted painter who stunned the world with his subtle but beautiful paintings.

As much as I loved Monet's paintings, I never intended to go to go on a cycling tour of Giverny. I wanted to go to Versailles, the Mother of all Palaces, not the Mother of all Gardens ! But after I found myself in my tour agent's shop in Paris , jetlagged and bleary-eyed after 13 hours of flight from Singapore, I was told that only 3 suckers ( 2 Florida natives and a Singaporean ) from around the world signed up for it. It was a disappointment to us three sods but we cheered up almost immediately when we were offered another choice to go to Giverny.
I chose to go straight away. What else was I to do anyway? It would be a good 13 more hours before my husband would fly in from Frankfurt . Till then, I could exhuaust my husband's credit limit in Champ Elysee, go up and down the Eiffel tower and do any darn thing I wanted. But my sleep-deprived mind made me choose cycling in Giverny instead.

And that I did. Yes reader, it is possible for anybody to go on a cycling tour and enjoy art after 13 hours of flight if you're as madcapped for adventure as I am. I did enjoy myself and surprised my guide and fellow cyclists. Hell, yes, they were convinced that I would fall asleep on the wheel and fall into Monet's pond. Sad to say, I didn't provide any comic relief for the day, I spend my entire time snapping away, hoping to get an impression of Claude Monet. So read on, dear reader to see Monet's house thru the eyes of my lenses

Monet and Giverny

See that fella in the jaunty beret? Well, that's a self potrait done by the great artist himself. If you're interested to know more about his 2 wives, his past as a caricature artist and how he came to discover Giverny, click here..

Monet's Beautiful House and Garden

Here's a picture of Monet's beautiful garden. . It was just astounding to see how the lush greenery complemented the whole water setting. Well Monet might have been confessing to the truth when he said,

"Besides gardening and painting, I don't know a thing".

• Pros:Famous Japanese Bridge, The Water-lily Pond and the Flower Garden
  • Cons:No point coming here if you're not into art and gardens
  • In a nutshell:A Mecca for all Monet Art Lovers
  • Last visit to Giverny: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2004

• londonlover's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Lovely photos and background info. What time of year were your photos taken?

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 1:13 AM

Interesting and informative tips with a nice personal touch in the intro. I think Keukenhof (when it's open) might give it a run for your money in the popularity stakes though.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 11:16 PM

what a marvellous page - thank you so much

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Really enjoyed this tour of Giverney with you. Lots of good memories of visits of my own and love the sidelines too. Thanks. leyle

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2006 at 8:10 PM

Interesting tour of Giverny...thank you!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2006 at 11:20 PM

You've done a lovely page on Giverny, I especially like you're off the beaten path tips and travelogues. I must visit here when I'm next in Paris.

• JuraidahJ's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2006 at 9:36 PM

Lucky you to see Monet's place of inspiration... how jealous am I? God only knows. U must tell me all abt it when we meet. I love his work too. Have you tried Van Gogh?

• Jan 13, 2006 at 9:27 AM

Hi Glen, You were so lucky to see all this! Thank you for sharing. Hope you enjoy all the celebrations in Singapore. Have a good weekend!

• akikonomu's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2005 at 2:44 AM

Nice comparison of Monet's paintings and Giverny - try Van Gogh and Provence next time.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2005 at 11:59 PM

Tres bon!!! I will be taking my wife and parents to Giverny this September. Your pics make all the more inviting. Karl

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Giverny

Have you been to Giverny?

Photos in Giverny