"Debunking Myths in Paris" Paris by bpacker
Paris Travel Guide: 22,461 reviews and 54,973 photos
You know the saying, there's a silver lining behind a dark cloud? Well, I've always thought that this was a dumb line used only by sods like Chicken Licken until recent events in Paris made me change my mind...
Hubby and I had a weekend in Paris and while we were there, we experience the warmth of a city notorious for its folks who love nothing more than to rebuff foreigners. Yes, we heard the horror stories. And to make things worse, hubby had a fall . Make that a bad fall, on blades, that made his knees go 'pop' like the weasel. Yeah, he had surgery to repair the weasely knee. Undeterred by all these, we had a rendezvous one weekend in Paris. Hubby flew in from Frankfurt and I, from Singapore. The good news was, the bad leg did not get in the way. No siree, ZE BAD LEG milked lots and lots of sympathy points. Many kind Parisians went out of their way to help us and ze bad leg even gave us priority in museum queues. You should have seen the looks on the faces of the other tourists when the security guards at the Lourve went straight to my husband and kindly ushered him to the front. I could have sworn many of them shot that evil look at their partners as the desire to kick them in the shin grew strong. Can't blame them, afterall, Paris was blazing hot at 32c ! Same crazy temperature as Singapore.We must have downed many bottles of Evian that day but it was worth it. We saw the Mona Lisa, dined at a chic little cafe in Rue Cler, toured the Notre Dame and saw the Eiffel Tower when it was sparkling like a glow bug at night. Lovely.
Yeah, because of ze bad leg, I saw kindness coming out from the people who were rumoured to be nasty and unkind. It can't be further from the truth. Parisians are, on the whole, nice. It warmed my heart each time a local gave up his seat in the Metro for my limping husband, helped him with his luggage or even moved aside for him. Even when I was alone without ze bad leg, I was treated no differently, many kind souls helped me when I lost my way and personally walked me to my destination even though my French sucked. I had a great time here and the experience made me believe in silver linings.
After spending a weekend with Hubby, I stayed behind alone in France while he went on to Germany. Glad I did, I indulged in the arts, the lights and every hedonistic delight I could think of in Paris. What gave me the greatest joy, I discover, wasn't shopping in Champ Elysee, looking at Art at the Lourve but just sitting still and looking at the splendour of Paris at night. I had the chance to do so while on a night cruise on the Seine River.
I always had a burning zeal to be like my hero....LANCE ARMSTRONG! Though I didn't do the Tour de France, I did a night cycling tour of Paris, a day cycling tour of Versailles and Giverny. It satiated my desire to some extent and gave a whole new meaning to sight-seeing.
- Pros:World class museums, Divine Architecture and Good, really Good Food
- Cons:Stuffy subway trains in summer
- In a nutshell:This place is MAGIC !
This may seem a little odd but the best Impressionist and post-Impressionist paintings are actually housed in an old... more travel advice
Recognise this lusty couple? I'm quite sure you do. Well, even if you do know the name of this erotic artwork, you would... more travel advice
- See All The Gates of Hell at Musée Rodin
- Staying not too far from the Eiffel...
- See All The Best Meal I ever had in France
bpacker's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 42 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Latest Paris hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Garden Court Paris-Porte De Saint Ouen Hotel
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 26, 2013
- Hotel de Crillon Paris
- 308 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Citea La Defense Leonard Da Vinci
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel
- 1014 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Pierre & Vacances Bercy Residence Paris
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Exclusive Villa St Martin
- 460 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Mercure Square des Batignolles Hotel Paris
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 7, 2013
- Hotel Palma Paris
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Port-Royal Hotel
- 158 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Aquarelle
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Lindbergh
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Terrass Hotel
- 361 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Rubens
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2012
- Hotel Saint Paul Le Marais Paris
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel des Grandes Ecoles
- 435 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013