"Nature Haven in a Rubbish Dump" Pulau Semakau by bpacker

Pulau Semakau Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 30 photos

Pulau Semakau

Singapore is a squeaky clean place. Yes siree, we're so damm hygenic that even our rubbish landfill area smells good and can support a diverse ecosystem of rare plants and animals! I'm not joking, Pulau Semakau, an artificial island created off the west coast of Singapore, is a little haven for marine biologists and a sometime naturalists like myself. You can come here on an inter-tidal walk to check out the inhabitants on the seagrass lagoon. Bird your brains out (yes, there ARE pacific egrets here!) or try your hand at angling. As for myself, I was here on a Sunday morning, wading my booties off on a sea-grassy landscape with some folks from the Raffles Museum of Biodiversity. If you think I've lost it,you're not far from wrong. Just how many loonies would wake up at 5am to check out worms on a seabed? The thing is, I'll do this again come September during the migratory season. This time, instead of worms, I'll be checking out my feathered beloveds. This my friend, is worth waking up for.

Since I already have a page full of crabs, seashells and corals, I loathe to create another one. Click here to look at my Ubin page. I'll simply keep this page for general info and as an online birding journal.

• Pros:Bird and Marine Haven
  • Cons:Mossie Haven
  • In a nutshell:Nature Haven in a Gigantic Rubbish Dump
  • Intro Updated May 22, 2006

• beetlebummer's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 7:46 AM

What great tips and coverage of the Pulau Semakau you had. Been wanting to visit our local offshore islands...great job!

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Super Pulau Semakau VT Pages, even it is not for me *smile* ... very interesting, great pics, loved the Brahminy Kite, thanks Glen, greets RoyJava, The Hague Holland

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Oh yes, thanx! Very useful and interesting!

• Feb 23, 2008 at 9:51 AM

what do you think about the impact on eco balance island of langkawi when chicken skins are given to the eaglels . my opinion is in a few years the eagles can not fly and they will be full of chrorestorol

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 4:19 PM

I agree, this little tour would be worth getting up early to do. I will have to keep that in mind for next time. Nice page!

• y_lyn's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2007 at 6:47 PM

I just signed up a kusu island reefwalk trip with the Blue Volunteers.... going to wake up ard 4am in the morning too! The Semakau trip is quite expensive, but I think definitely worth it right? :)

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2007 at 3:07 AM

Semakau? I thought thats a little garbage dump island. Interesting to know other lovely creatures reside on that island too. Does the island smells? (sorry for being so naive).

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2006 at 6:06 AM

Unfortunately, most Singaporeans, let alone tourists can make their way here, G....(a pity)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2006 at 9:10 PM

You bring very special sights of Singapore! All your tips on Pulau Semakau are truly amazing! Excellent photos!

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2006 at 5:05 AM

Interesting island, bet a lot of singaporeans dont know about it :)

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Pulau Semakau

Have you been to Pulau Semakau?

Latest Activity in Pulau Semakau