"Nature Haven in a Rubbish Dump" Pulau Semakau by bpacker
Pulau Semakau Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 30 photos
Singapore is a squeaky clean place. Yes siree, we're so damm hygenic that even our rubbish landfill area smells good and can support a diverse ecosystem of rare plants and animals! I'm not joking, Pulau Semakau, an artificial island created off the west coast of Singapore, is a little haven for marine biologists and a sometime naturalists like myself. You can come here on an inter-tidal walk to check out the inhabitants on the seagrass lagoon. Bird your brains out (yes, there ARE pacific egrets here!) or try your hand at angling. As for myself, I was here on a Sunday morning, wading my booties off on a sea-grassy landscape with some folks from the Raffles Museum of Biodiversity. If you think I've lost it,you're not far from wrong. Just how many loonies would wake up at 5am to check out worms on a seabed? The thing is, I'll do this again come September during the migratory season. This time, instead of worms, I'll be checking out my feathered beloveds. This my friend, is worth waking up for.
Since I already have a page full of crabs, seashells and corals, I loathe to create another one. Click here to look at my Ubin page. I'll simply keep this page for general info and as an online birding journal.
- Pros:Bird and Marine Haven
- Cons:Mossie Haven
- In a nutshell:Nature Haven in a Gigantic Rubbish Dump
This little sotong (squid) is so cute that I've decided to put it here. It was spotted off the sea-grass lagoon in Pulau... more travel advice
Besides the walks and birding activities, sport fishing is another activity you can do in Pulau Semakau. It's quite a... more travel advice
bpacker's Related Pages
Pulau Semakau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nature Haven in a Rubbish Dump"
- "Rubbish Island"
- "Pulau Semakau Intertidal Walk"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Semakau
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Pulau Semakau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Semakau
Photos in Pulau SemakauSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues