"The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !" Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi by bpacker
Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,833 reviews and 6,301 photos
A Note for my Fan Club: Thank You All for all your enthusiastic response for my Saigon! Saigon! page. If not for your kind words, I'll continue believing that my writing is equivilent to toilet graffiti. Your support proved my kindergarten teacher wrong. With my renewed confidence, I've decided to detailed more of my crazy adventures over here. It's honestly for you. Happy Reading!!!
There's no doubt about it. I am in love with Vietnam . Having seen the south, I now journey to the north where I found the same new-found enthusiasm for capitalism and love for anything from the West. Yesiree, the clothes! The American dollar! The English language! Zees good ! Yes, if you need to know, everybody speaks with a pronounced "Z" accent over here. So, for a short period when I was here, I spoke and dreamt with a zzzzz accent. But I didn't come here to perfect my Vietnamese, no, I hankered for lily- covered temples and lakes, high adventures in Ha Long Bay and affordable gastronomic delights. Fortunately for me this time, I am not alone in my trifold grail quest. My gallant knight has kindly agreed to a short holiday with me despite a knee wound sustained in a battle with the Solomon Blades ( roller- blading in modern speak ). Together, we ate our way through Hanoi and sought out Ha Long Bay and Perfume Pagoda . Thanks to him, I wasn't overly harrassed by Japanese men or Japanese- speaking Hanoians. On top of that, he handled unreasonable taxi drivers with great flair. Bravo for him . So did we find our Grail in the end? Read and find out...
Our first quest was to conquer our fear of the unknown and partake of the exotic fare in Hanoi. Yes, great courage is needed, o reader! Especially when swallowing the mighty scorpion and drinking the wine of 5 poisonous snakes...
Having fortified ourselves with revolting victuals, hubby and I set forth for the unknown. A pagoda in a place with mountains high and a jade-green land where a dragon descends. We found the Perfume Pagoda and Ha Long Bay alright, our trifold quests fulfilled!
- Pros:Top Notch Gourmet Restaurants, Easy Access to Exotic Sights
- Cons:Bad Traffic, Bad Taxi Drivers, those infidels!
- In a nutshell:Gastronomic Capital of VN and Gateway to Great Sights!
If you're a serious biker like my hubby, chances are, you would have asked if it is possible to tour Vietnam by bike.... more travel advice
Ever wondered why you see cranes on the back of the tortoises in Vietnamese temples? Well, these animals carry a silent... more travel advice
- See All The Best Museum in Vietnam
- See All Don't miss the Cha Ca over here
- See All Animated Water Play
- See All Hanoi's International Airport
bpacker's Related Pages
Hanoi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
- "Good morning Hanoi !"
- "Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
- "Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"
- "MY 1ST STOP IN VIETNAM WAS......................."
- "Ignoring Hanoi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanoi
- Hotels in Hanoi
- Transportation in Hanoi
- Nightlife in Hanoi
- Restaurants in Hanoi
- Shopping in Hanoi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hanoi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanoi
- 72 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 81 Forum posts
- 50 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Hanoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanoi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues