"The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !" Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi by bpacker

Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,806 reviews and 6,210 photos

Tales from a corporate wife, with hubby this time

A Note for my Fan Club: Thank You All for all your enthusiastic response for my Saigon! Saigon! page. If not for your kind words, I'll continue believing that my writing is equivilent to toilet graffiti. Your support proved my kindergarten teacher wrong. With my renewed confidence, I've decided to detailed more of my crazy adventures over here. It's honestly for you. Happy Reading!!!

There's no doubt about it. I am in love with Vietnam . Having seen the south, I now journey to the north where I found the same new-found enthusiasm for capitalism and love for anything from the West. Yesiree, the clothes! The American dollar! The English language! Zees good ! Yes, if you need to know, everybody speaks with a pronounced "Z" accent over here. So, for a short period when I was here, I spoke and dreamt with a zzzzz accent. But I didn't come here to perfect my Vietnamese, no, I hankered for lily- covered temples and lakes, high adventures in Ha Long Bay and affordable gastronomic delights. Fortunately for me this time, I am not alone in my trifold grail quest. My gallant knight has kindly agreed to a short holiday with me despite a knee wound sustained in a battle with the Solomon Blades ( roller- blading in modern speak ). Together, we ate our way through Hanoi and sought out Ha Long Bay and Perfume Pagoda . Thanks to him, I wasn't overly harrassed by Japanese men or Japanese- speaking Hanoians. On top of that, he handled unreasonable taxi drivers with great flair. Bravo for him . So did we find our Grail in the end? Read and find out...

Gastronomic Adventures

Our first quest was to conquer our fear of the unknown and partake of the exotic fare in Hanoi. Yes, great courage is needed, o reader! Especially when swallowing the mighty scorpion and drinking the wine of 5 poisonous snakes...

Adventures out of Hanoi

Having fortified ourselves with revolting victuals, hubby and I set forth for the unknown. A pagoda in a place with mountains high and a jade-green land where a dragon descends. We found the Perfume Pagoda and Ha Long Bay alright, our trifold quests fulfilled!

• Pros:Top Notch Gourmet Restaurants, Easy Access to Exotic Sights
  • Cons:Bad Traffic, Bad Taxi Drivers, those infidels!
  • In a nutshell:Gastronomic Capital of VN and Gateway to Great Sights!
  • Last visit to Hanoi: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2007

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2010 at 4:57 AM

Hanoi is extremely beautiful as illustrated from your marcellous images. Tomas Eriksson :)

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Plenty to see and do here!

• kwipex's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Thanks...somehow this Thit Cho is now burned into my memory after reading your pages..I'm ready now for my trip in Jan 2010..great writing

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM

That is a gorgeous opening photo!

• Jul 5, 2009 at 6:09 AM

The dish costs 100.000 dong today. So it is definitely a lot cheaper than mentioned in this article.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM

What an interesting and fun page, Glen. I had a blast looking it all over. I think Vietnam is a place we want to go someday.

• Dec 3, 2008 at 3:02 AM

Hi, Traveling in all south east asia, i found only one real italian icecream shop in Hua Hin, Thailand. I never lose this address : thailand-world.com/Coffee-Da...

• asianbelle's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 8:13 PM

thanks for the tip glen. guess, we have to choose only 1 to spend a bit more time in hanoi.

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Your pages made me laugh! Tips are excellent. Tankyou. Tracey

• wen_viaggio's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 3:26 AM

Haha! Crap from a civet cat that tastes great? That's my kind of ***. :D Looks like I have to give it a go when I visit Hanoi. :D

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Hanoi