Ha Long Things to Do Tips by bpacker Top 5 Page for this destination
Ha Long Things to Do: 221 reviews and 497 photos
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Off the merry seas I go!
Nothing completes the picture of a romantic Ha Long Bay more than a couple of junks in red or yellow sails, right? Looking at them conjures the image of ancient Chinese naval exploration and if you're on one of them, you'll feel like Admiral Cheng Ho*!
*He's the famous Chinese admiral who sailed half across the world in 1421.
Little boat, left hand corner, Ha long Bay
This is a real no-brainer as you'll be doing this the moment you sail out into Ha Long Bay. How can you not do so? These limestone structures are everywhere! To get a real perpective of this, take a look at the picture, now glance at the lower left hand corner, do you see a tiny boat with a woman? Yes, reader, the limestone structures are that enormous!
Click here to see more pictures of ha long bay.
Claus taking a puff from the village pipe of peace
Take a 3D trip to Ha Long Bay if you can afford the time, you won't regret it. Whilst the 2D trip offers you a grand spectacle of the bay, the 3D trip offers a further insight to the lives of the local folk. After treking for 6km in the National Park, we went to Viet Hai Village and had an interesting cultural exchange session. Here's a picture of my German friend enjoying a puff on the local water pipe called a "dieu cay ". Needless to say, I wasn't offered a puff. Wanna know why? Click here...
A chain of floating villages
Once you're in Ha Long Bay, you'll see chains of floating villages festooned around limestone structures and jade green waters like little blue necklaces.
Kayaking in HaLongBay at 10c
This is a must, even in 10c weather conditions, how else are you going to see the awesome limestone structures up close? Of course, it'll be better during summer but I wasn't going to leave this out now that I was here! I paddled out ( sadly without my camera ) and saw caves, corals and amazing limestone formations.
Jade green lakes, Catba National Park
Now, you'll only have time for treking thru' CatBa National Park when you take the 3D trip to Ha Long Bay. To me, this was the highlight of the trip. Not only did I get to see some native flora and fauna but I got to see awesome scenary and many opportunities to see how the local folk live..
View from Sung Sot Cave, Ha Long Bay
Now after you have explored all of Sung Sot's three chambers, your guide will lead you to the top where you'll see an astounding view of Ha Long Bay.
Of course, once you're here, you'll take the same picture as every VTer and paste it as your opening picture for your Ha Long Bay page...
Sung Sot Cave
Hang Sung Sot simply means cave of awe and aptly named too. Every tourist that comes in here will drop their jaw when they see the awesome limestone formations inside the cave. Of course, it might drop even further when they catch the view from the top of the cave. Read on to see the view from the top..
You'll definitely pay a visit to Sung Sot whether you're on a 3d or 2d trip to Halong Bay. Of course, when you're there, do look out for the cheeky "male anatomy rock" (VT prohibits the use of the actual word ) and grafitti dating back to the 1960's..
More Reviews (31)
- See All Choosing a travel agent to do this
- See All Overnight on a Junk
- See All Sung Sot Cave : Seeing things
- See All Kayaking in Ha Long Bay
- See All CatBa Island
bpacker's Related Pages
Ha Long Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From a Dragon's mouth"
- "Ha Long - Bay of Beauty and Legend"
- "Land of Descending Dragons"
- "Amazing Halong Bay"
- "Dreaming of Ha Long Bay"
- "guell's Ha Long Page"
- "Ha Long Bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ha Long
- Hotels in Ha Long
- Transportation in Ha Long
- Nightlife in Ha Long
- Restaurants in Ha Long
- Shopping in Ha Long
- Warnings and Dangers in Ha Long
- See All...
Explore the World
- Blackpool Hotels
- Saint Martinville Hotels
- Fruitland Hotels
- Manoo Hotels
Badges & Stats in Ha Long
- 39 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Ha Long?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ha Long
Photos in Ha LongSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues