"From a Dragon's mouth" Top 5 Page for this destination Ha Long by bpacker
Ha Long Travel Guide: 458 reviews and 1,604 photos
Recent Update : Frommers recently listed kayaking in Halong Bay as the one of the best adventures in Asia. So, if you're here, don't cheat yourself of this fantastic experience. Go kayaking ! Here's what they have to say: "The more than 3,000 arresting limestone karst formations rising out of Halong Bay's peaceful blue-green waters provide a natural obstacle course for paddling. Moving among them, you'll pass in and among intriguing grottos and caverns. Nights are spent camping out in natural parks or on the deck of a mother ship."
Day 1: Halong Bay, here I come! It was every bit as magical as I imagined it to be. Beautiful jade green waters, awesome limestone structures and magical caves awashed with strange formations. Strange how people can see Buddhas, legs, faces, animals and even male anatomies in those structures. Guess you'll start to hallucinate after you bring boatfuls of tourists here month after month. Overnight on a Chinese Junk.
Highlight of the day : Looking at a couple of Scandic sods jumped into the freezing waters at 5c and later laughing my head off with the rest of the travellers as they yowled in cold. The laughter reverberated around the Bay for a while. Poor sods, they must have forgotten that there wasn't any sauna on the boat.
Day 2: Woke up at a ghastly 7am, bid everyone farewell and jumped unto another junk. We chugged slowly to Catba National Park. Trekked for 6km and later climbed a small summit near the village of Viet Hai. Took me 1/2 hr to get to the top. Saw an eagle and village of viet hai from the top. Heavenly. Prayed damm hard and got down to the bottom miraculously. Thank God. i didn't fall and make a photocopy of my face in the mud.Canoed around Lan Ha Bay after that . There are no Loch Ness Monsters here for sure. Max Depth was maybe 10m or so. Sigh, I was promised a monster! Maybe those guys saw a Dugong. Overnight at a sleazy island of Cat Ba.
Highlight of the Day: Had a good massage at Princes Hotel. It was heaven and it really soothed my tired muscles. Slept like a baby after that.
Day3: Didn't do much today, except to take more shots of Lan Ha Bay . Interesting place, saw clusters and clusters of floating villages. Saw more sea eagles too. We went back to Ha Long City and had lunch there. There doesn't seem to be much to do over there. Well, back to Hanoi.
- Pros:Awesome Limestone Structures and Jade Green Waters
- Cons:Not a gd diving location, low depth, bad viz due to lots of plankton
- In a nutshell:More sights on the water than under
If you're keen to do Halong Bay, go on a package trip organised by an agency in Hanoi. You'll be glad you've done so... more travel advice
On our first night in Ha long, we stayed onboard a junk moored off a little cove. It was great to be on the boat, food... more travel advice
- See All Sung Sot Cave : Seeing things
- See All Kayaking in Ha Long Bay
- See All CatBa Island
- See All Chinese Junks in Ha Long Bay
- See All Walk, walk , walk
bpacker's Related Pages
Ha Long Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From a Dragon's mouth"
- "Ha Long - Bay of Beauty and Legend"
- "Land of Descending Dragons"
- "Amazing Halong Bay"
- "Dreaming of Ha Long Bay"
- "guell's Ha Long Page"
- "Ha Long Bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ha Long
- Hotels in Ha Long
- Transportation in Ha Long
- Nightlife in Ha Long
- Restaurants in Ha Long
- Shopping in Ha Long
- Warnings and Dangers in Ha Long
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ha Long
- 39 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Ha Long?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ha Long
Photos in Ha LongSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues