"Saigon Saigon !" Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City by bpacker
Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide: 3,131 reviews and 7,263 photos
Written before the trip @ Changi Airport : I'm filled with anticipation as I'm writing this. I'm finally going to HoChiMinCity! Since I only have a few days here, I intend to have a blast of a time and explore HCMC using some tips from helpful VTers. They'll come in handy as I'll be exploring HCMC by myself in the daytime.
Apart from checking out the haunted Rex Hotel, I've made up my mind to take some day trips. So what's this about the hotel?Apparently I heard it was standing during the time of the Viet War and since it was just over 30 years ago,I'm sure old memories remain. Well, let's see how it goes..
Written post trip:
I had a blast of a time alright. Saigon is a bustling place, filled to the brim with new found capitalism and enthusiasm. You'll find tremendous excitement and energy everywhere, from the crazy Grand Prix traffic to the energetic buying and selling in Ben Tanh market.
Of course, I received a culture shock on my first day here. Nothing prepares you for the traffic here, not the crazy conditions in Manila nor the jam-packed streets of Bangkok. I was nearly mowed down by an exodus of motorbikes and honked at by countless of drivers. Thank God I returned with all my limbs intact. If not, I'll have to join a beggar syndicate.
Also, it didn't help that I was exploring HCMC by myself. I was harassed by cyclos, Honda-Om opportunists and would you believe it, Japanese men! All spoke to me in Japanese. So, after being KONNICHIWAed and KOMBANWAed for countless of times, I learned to take it like a pro with a polite smile, by the second day. I'll still say HCMC is safe for a single female traveller but it takes some getting used to. Lug along another companion if possible. Not necessary though, if you have Lucy Lawless biceps and her yodel.
The highlights of my trip were my day trips out of HCMC and my foodie adventures. However much I loved the shopping, culture and energy in HCMC, nothing beats sitting on a slow boat to Mekong Delta and squeezing inside a dusty tunnel in Cu Chi. I've detailed and photographed my experiences for all. So if you're keen on a high-octane experience in HCMC, print my pages out and have a blast of a time there.
Post Trip Thoughts: This webpage is actually written to encourage other wives like myself. Yes, it's possible to have a blast of a time even when you're alone in the daytime in a strange city. All you need is a good dose of gung-ho spirit ( in my case coffee).Oh yes, Rex Hotel wasn't haunted after all, and I didn't see anything extraordinary up there, despite my nosing about
I went to the Mekong Delta and the famed Cu Chi Tunnel. Both trips were full of surprises. Yes, never a dull moment for me. I've made many new friends during the trip, the most memorable one was a 2m long female. You can read more about it over here
The food here is fantastic! As always, I ate my way around, sampling haute cuisine to street food. Many delicious discoveries were made along the way...
- Pros:Beautiful Old Architecture, Shopping and lots of Food
- Cons:Crazy Traffic, Smog, Touchy Feely Locals, Different Pricing for Tourists, Not much a night life
- In a nutshell:Up and Coming City. Vive le Capitalism!
Thanks to Shrimp56, I've decided to list out delicious recipes collected from all over the world. Here's my own recipe... more travel advice
One of my best buys in HCMC was delicate rice paper sold in Ben Tanh Market. The ones that are sold in Singapore was... more travel advice
- See All Why 3 million people in HCMC own...
- See All Snugglin' up to a 2m long Python
- See All Fake Sinh Cafes
- See All Elephant Bar
bpacker's Related Pages
Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saigon Saigon !"
- "IMPREXXION: HO CHI MINH CITY"
- "Former Saigon"
- "Ho Chi Minh City 29/3/08 - 3/4/08"
- "Lost in Saigon!?"
- "Ho Chin Minh City, the new Saigon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
- Transportation in Ho Chi Minh City
- Nightlife in Ho Chi Minh City
- Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
- Shopping in Ho Chi Minh City
- Warnings and Dangers in Ho Chi Minh City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ho Chi Minh City
- 51 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 60 Forum posts
- 88 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ho Chi Minh City
- Posted in Travel Lijiang Forum "Re: Moon Inn"
- Commented on one of Aidy_p's Ho Chi Minh City travel pages
- updated a Ho Chi Minh City Travelogue "On a slow boat to Mekong Delta"
- Uploaded a Photo to "On a slow boat to Mekong Delta"
- Wrote a Review How to make delicious Pho / Cookery School about Eat & Drink like the locals in Ho Chi Minh City Restaurants
Photos in Ho Chi Minh CitySee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues