"Grandeur Beyound Words" Top 5 Page for this destination Versailles by bpacker
Versailles Travel Guide: 692 reviews and 2,615 photos
I was supposed to tour the Versailles on my first day in France but I landed up in Giverny instead. Undeterred, I cut short my trip in Belgium and went back to France. Versailles was the main reason why.
As I stood on the palace grounds, I immediately knew that I made a good decision to shorten my trip. The Chateau was beautiful and the size was immense, the grandeur, beyound words. Indeed, an impressive backdrop for all the drama that took place here. Yes siree, this is where the Treaty of Versailles was signed, prompting a chain of events that led to WWII. This is also the palace that lost its royal occupants to an angry mob who dragged them off to Paris and lopped off their heads. Oh-la-la! Mighty dramatic but all real. Join me as I step into the Chateau, explore the stage and touch history in the flesh.
I must admit, the pictures of the interior aren't as good as hope it to be. Hell, how was I to get good shots while half the time, this place was crowded with tourists? I was lucky enough to get standing room. Most of the time, I just got an elbow in my eye or ribs.
I immediately felt better when I explored the vast and strangely geometrical gardens. Have you ever noticed that everything is symmetrical here?
- Pros:Vast Picnic Grounds in the Gardens
- Cons:Crowds and Crowds of Folks from All over the world!
- In a nutshell:Mother of all Palaces
Ok, so I though I was hallucinating when I saw these period figures in the Petit Trianon. But my sanity was intact,... more travel advice
Here's the picture of Madame de Pompadour, the love goddess and the most famous and influential mistress of Louis XV.... more travel advice
bpacker's Related Pages
Versailles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grandeur Beyound Words"
- "ON THE STEPS OF MARIE-ANTOINETTE."
- "Moscow - Versailles"
- "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- "The Chateau de Versailles"
- "I can see why they chopped off their heads!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Versailles
- Hotels in Versailles
- Transportation in Versailles
- Nightlife in Versailles
- Restaurants in Versailles
- Shopping in Versailles
- Warnings and Dangers in Versailles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Versailles
- 47 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Versailles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Versailles
- Posted in Travel Lijiang Forum "Re: Moon Inn"
- Commented on one of Luchonda's Versailles travel pages
- Wrote a Review Blast from the Past in the Petit Trianon in Versailles Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Blast from the Past in the Petit Trianon"
- updated a Versailles Travelogue "Le hameau de marie Antoinette, past and present"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues