"Grandeur Beyound Words" Top 5 Page for this destination Versailles by bpacker

Versailles Travel Guide: 692 reviews and 2,615 photos

Chateau de Versailles

I was supposed to tour the Versailles on my first day in France but I landed up in Giverny instead. Undeterred, I cut short my trip in Belgium and went back to France. Versailles was the main reason why.

As I stood on the palace grounds, I immediately knew that I made a good decision to shorten my trip. The Chateau was beautiful and the size was immense, the grandeur, beyound words. Indeed, an impressive backdrop for all the drama that took place here. Yes siree, this is where the Treaty of Versailles was signed, prompting a chain of events that led to WWII. This is also the palace that lost its royal occupants to an angry mob who dragged them off to Paris and lopped off their heads. Oh-la-la! Mighty dramatic but all real. Join me as I step into the Chateau, explore the stage and touch history in the flesh.

Palace, Interior

I must admit, the pictures of the interior aren't as good as hope it to be. Hell, how was I to get good shots while half the time, this place was crowded with tourists? I was lucky enough to get standing room. Most of the time, I just got an elbow in my eye or ribs.

Exterior, Palace Gardens

I immediately felt better when I explored the vast and strangely geometrical gardens. Have you ever noticed that everything is symmetrical here?

• Pros:Vast Picnic Grounds in the Gardens
  • Cons:Crowds and Crowds of Folks from All over the world!
  • In a nutshell:Mother of all Palaces
  • Last visit to Versailles: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2004

• Federina's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Versailles is absolutely a place worth a visit. I suggest not to miss horses exibitions when you are there.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Wow, what a great page. thanks for all the tips, going there in June and your tips are going to be of great assistance ;-)

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2007 at 12:27 AM

Great page about Versailles. Always wanted to go there and about 1 month ago I did! So proud of myself :) Your beautiful photos bring back memories!

• Feb 24, 2007 at 10:26 AM

THANK you so much for this tip! it saved us a lot of time at versailles two days ago. It is much appreciated!

• Aug 9, 2006 at 2:22 PM

Hi Glen! Thank you very much for the tips about Versailles. I'm leaving for France in a few days and they may be very useful to me! Hugs francesca

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2006 at 1:28 AM

I will visit Versailles next month, thx for the info and great pictures That is why VT stands for - personal tips

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2005 at 6:26 AM

Wonderful! Your pictures have great color. I loved this page so much I used it this morning in my history class when I was telling my students about Louis XIV.

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 12:51 AM

I didn't know there was Chinese thingy at Versailles. A tilting ring? Was that a toy used in nocturnal celebrations? Sounds like an amusement ride.

• Maximilian21's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2005 at 5:22 AM

You should be proud of this page, its absolutely fantatsic. very well done. one love

• TimDaoust's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 6:05 AM

I am enjoying your Versailles page. I didn't spend nearly enough time there when I went but your fine pictures are allowing me to reminisce. Thanks for sharing.

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Versailles

Have you been to Versailles?