"Penang for Foodies" Top 5 Page for this destination Penang by bpacker

Penang Travel Guide: 2,478 reviews and 5,340 photos

The Quest for the Perfect Char Kway Teow

If you're reading this page, chances are you're a foodie like myself and can't wait to unearth Georgetown's best kept foodie secrets. Congratulations, you've come to THE correct page. Like my other pages, this one is also food and photography centric and I won't bother putting too much trivialities on touristy joints. What you find instead are a lot of food tips and odd sights that tourists tend to miss in their tour bus pursuit.

Penang has been heralded by Time(Asia) Magazine as the Best Place in Asia for Street Food and I couldn't agree better. To quote from them, Penang is a free-ranging buffet that spans more than a hundred sq km.No one says it better than them. Once I was here, I became a free-range cow overnight and grazed my way through oodles of delicious street food. But in between the grazing, I had an important goal at the behest of my noodle lovin' husband.

Ah yes, the quest to find the perfect Char Kway Teow.
Flat rice noodles, fried to a golden brown, smokey-flavoured and laden with plump morsels of prawn, bean sprouts, sweet Chinese sausages and blood cockles. We've heard of the famous one at Macalister Road that was fried by the 2 sisters but it turned out to be a major disappointment . Maybe the sisters got sloppy after their faces were splashed all over Time Magazine? Whatever it was, we found out that true Penangites only gave a so-so rating to the sisters' noodles and there were better ones to be had. So, being the desperate cows that we were, we did the next logical thing and consulted an islander. It was a good thing that hubby had a good pal and Penangite rolled into one so it didn't take much cajoling to get him to reveal to us Penang's Best Kept Foodie Secrets. More than that, this pal was enormously proud of the food and cultural heritage in Penang and had no qualms bringing us around his hometown. We had a marvelicious time thronging through the streets of Geogetown, feasting our way through a street buffet and checking out cultural sights. And by the way, we did find the best char kway teow, after a long 42 minute wait but it was worth every slippery brown noodle. It was best Char Kway Teow I ever had.

The Food Panel

This page is dedicated to our foodie guides , Penangite Chin and Carrie. Guys, you're the best, we would never have detected Penang's best without you nor eaten so much, hahaha! Our utmost appreciation for your dedication in chauffering us around town and waking us up in the wee hours of the morning to try all those delicious delicacies in far-flung areas.

• Pros:Quote from Chin: Everything is extremely edible around here
  • Cons:Questionable Hygiene and even more questionable road signs
  • In a nutshell:Best Place in Asia for Street Food
  • Last visit to Penang: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 4, 2006

• Jun 7, 2010 at 6:03 AM

THINGS CHANGED SINCE THE NEW STATE GOVERNMENT TOOK OVER。YOU‘LL DISCOVER ALL THE CHANGES BEEN MADE TO PRESERVE THIS BEAUTIFUL ISLAND。

• kat-m's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2010 at 1:17 AM

hello will be in penang in just under 2 weeks, your tips are great and very helpful.

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Hello Glen, Nice pages and thank you very much for those pages. Happy new year to all of you. Tomas Eriksson :)

• sisca_s712's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Hi, I will go to penang on 19th of august. How do i get yellow bus #83 from the airport? Can you give me direction please? What time is the last bus from the airport? Thanks

• Jun 24, 2008 at 5:35 AM

I have another recommendation for one of the best rojak in Penang. It's operated by an old couple at Jalan Sg Dua (Opposite Tesco Extra), near Hamna apartment, just outside the shoplots. will try to get pic whenever possible

• jamie_uk's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 6:59 AM

Ha ha, thanks for your great tips, I am having such fun reading them! Like the comment about the FB on the funicular ride! Hoping to go to Penang next March, also may be going to Singapore and perhaps Langkawi. I will def be printing some of your pages !

• Apr 6, 2007 at 3:01 AM

I would love to go one day!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2007 at 2:30 AM

I am currently eating my way through Penang and will be using your tips!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2006 at 3:44 PM

Another great page Glen!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 1:11 PM

Was going to skip lunch and keep working, but after reading your foodie tips I find I cannot! Good luck with your marathon!

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Penang