"Breaking Fast in Balik Pulau" Balik Pulau by bpacker
Balik Pulau Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 23 photos
A Stall owner breaks into a praticed waltz as he swivels a delicious floury batter on a sizzling hot pan. He's making Roti Jala, a delicious and delicate lacy pancake made of eggs and flour. It's usually eaten with savoury lamb/chicken curry or else a sweet coconut syrup.
Right after a visit to the war museum in Batu Muang, Hubby and I made a pit stop in Balik Pulau. Some hive of activity caught our eyes over there and we witnessed a small Malay community selling delicious cakes, breads and other delicious food for the breaking of their fast for Ramadan. It was fascinating, if not delicious experience. Though we weren't fasting ourselves, we couldn't help buying and indulging in the local delicacies at the food bazaar. And yes, the Roti Jala was delicious.
After the Roti Jala is cooked, it's deftly flicked into the quick hands of the assistant who folds the pancake into a triangle. Another assistant dishes out the curries..
Other types of food were also available, rainbow coloured drinks in big plastic bags, plates of fried chicken and fish, pots and pots of delicious slow-cooked beef curry (rendang) and fragrant yellow tumeric rice.
For more delicious stories, click on my Penang page, I'm too lazy to start another page over here:)
- Pros:Lots of GOOD Balik Durians can be found here
- Cons:Wee bit off the beaten track, you need a car to get here
- In a nutshell:More than just Durians?
bpacker's Related Pages
Balik Pulau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Balik Pulau - The Other Side of the Island"
- "Balik Pulau Durian House"
- "Joo in Balik Pulau"
- "Breaking Fast in Balik Pulau"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Balik Pulau
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Balik Pulau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Balik Pulau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues