"A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka" Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka by bpacker

Melaka Travel Guide: 1,677 reviews and 4,303 photos

Of Food, Shopping and Gluttony

Update: As incredible as it is, there are some folks out there who have lifted my words and pictures from this page for commercial gain. This is dispicable . Please note that all pictures and text in my Malacca pages are copyrighted to me and to virtual tourist. Please do not use this without prior permission.

The wild meet in Melaka looks like an event to remember. Even after all the braggin', draggin ( smoking) and biking was done, there was a wild frenzy of photo exchange and talking between Singaporean, Malaysian and Aussie Vters! Lol, Robertgaz wrote a poem after his creative juices went into a whir from listening to all of our wild stories. Here's his poem for all to enjoy.. .

Wild Gal Glen,
Arranged a VT meet,
To drag and to brag,
And of course to eat.

Typhoon Jen said she'll go,
And Basil went too,
To look after his girl,
And keep her out of the stew.

And who else should join them,
But Big Bad Bok and Bee Koon,
To join all their friends,
And race at high noon.

Things did go amiss,
When they started to race,
On a very little bike,
Jen thought she was ace.

Trying to run someone down,
She hit hard on the throttle,
And then spent a few days,
Bored out of her bottle.

Now lots more went along,
And they haven't been missed,
By all those who went,
Who were on a class list.

Mention Shopping and Eating to any Singaporean and I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar, that a magical spark will ignite in the poor sod's eyes. Mine was no exception. When I heard that my friends were going on such a trip to Malacca, my eyes sparked like some cheap china-made fire cracker and I eagerly signed up for it. Never mind if I was suppose to watch my weight because of a coming dive trip! Well, I could go to Melaka and take lots of colourful pictures, right? Also, the extra fat might benefit my buoyancy control underwater, haha .Well, if you must know, at the end of the day, my friends and I couldn't betray our Singaporean traits. Though we took lots of great shots, we ate and shop for what it was worth and boy, did we have a great time.

Fantastic Eats

My friends and I went on a witch hunt for every imaginable Melakan goodie we could lay our hands on. If it was good, you can bet we would have eaten it. Never mind if it looked dubious! We definitely came, saw and conquered anything edible. Ah, I admit I was a typical yeow kwee (glutton) in Melaka.

Photo Note: It just occured to me that 4 of us gluttons here are into xtreme sports(diving, rock climbing, blading, mathoners, etc).Hmm, is there a co-relation somehow?

Shop Till We Dropped

After we filled our tummies, we went on a photography tour de force. Bad mistake, it seemed that we ended up buying every thing we captured in our cameras. Arrgh, damage control definitely wasn't there. Read my shopping tips to see how damage was wrecked..

• Pros:Great Food, Shopping, Lots of Historical Artefacts
  • Cons:Narrow streets makes lousy traffic
  • In a nutshell:A Food Paradise Set in a Historical Place
  • Last visit to Melaka: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 11, 2008

• isolatedpawn's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I was entertained as if I was there. Nice page and poem!

• HackneyBird's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Hi there and greetings from the UK. I just love your pic of the cat, he/she is enormous! You have a great travel page here and nice photos. Will be back to look at more soon. ;-)

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Interesting page, great photos. Irene

• mlt_t's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM

You got something here... nice travel page! love it... take care :)

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 12:21 PM

"made from tiny shrimp left to rot in salt and rice for weeks on end" - descriptive, even if not appetizing! lol - excellent tip!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM

You have presented a real nice area and the comments along with great pictures help the reader to know more about Melaka

• Jul 2, 2008 at 10:21 AM

free tour-guide. Just call me: 012-208 2222 when u are in melaka. Love to meet ppl from all over the world :) I am 28/male/single Regards, kiang

• ellsasha's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Great tips, brought back interesting memories of my brief visit there. I was in KL for a friend's wedding, hence my short visit to Melaka.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 7:16 AM

It's sad to see the selfish few... too mean to pay Glen B her due!

• Jan 14, 2008 at 2:20 AM

i will be in melaka around 18 feb for three days, would tha tbe enough time to have a kebaya top make?

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Melaka