"Janes of the Jungle" Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara by bpacker
Taman Negara Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 489 photos
After combing Scandinavia with my childhood girl pals, I decided not to under-estimate the power of an all-girl trip. Not only did it deepened our friendship, the sisterly assurance built up much of my confidence for adventure. I became a Lucy Lawless overnight, minus the biceps and homosexuality, of course. So when the opportunity came for me to explore Taman Negara with two other gal pals, I jumped at the chance. It helped that I had an understanding partner who knew I didn't want to wallow in cold, cold Korea! While hubby was freezing his butt off in -5c Seoul, I was happily gallivanting from tree to tree in the balmy, warm jungle of Pahang. It turned out to be an adventurous, girl-bonding trip. I never knew how much I missed those long and honest conversations, the lurid jokes and the slumber party feel. Now, if only every gal were to go on a trip like this, there won't be a market for Prozac no more. Yes, we were laughing our heads off, never mind if we were in a room that had no air-con and a stinky loo.
We were Janes of the Jungle enjoying each other's company and ready to conquer the park!
And conquer we did, we had a fantastic time exploring the intricate ecosystem of Taman Negara. I mean, how often do you find out that elephant poop is responsible for fertilising a big tree in front of you? We also shot the rapids, went into a claustrophobic bat cave and polished off all their droppings on our shorts and hands. Oh yeah, we never felt more primal than that. That was no way we could have done that in urban Singapore! Guess what really helped us forget our woes was another fun-loving group of new friends from Klang, Malaysia and ahem, Bavaria, Germany. Somehow, the group chemistry turned out right and everyone had a great time . Lillian, Alice and my new friends from M'sia and Germany, this page is dedicated to you.
Like the Amazon, Taman Negara has a band of indigenous inhabitants called the "Orang Asli". They look nothing like the Malaysians. Instead, their strong Negroid features were more reminiscent of the Aborigines in Australia.Of course, there's where the similarity ends, these folks don't go on strike or complain about unemployment as they literally live off the land. Click here to see more pictures.
Other than the Orang Asli, there is a myriad of other inhabitants in Taman Negara. Too numerous for me to name (that's for sure) but I tried to capture as many as I could with my nifty Sony digi camera. Here's a jaunty little fellow with an unusually large yellow beak.
- Pros:Indigenous flora and fauna, good clean air and water
- Cons:Sandflies, Dung from Bats, Elephants and every other animal
- In a nutshell:Pristine Virgin Jungle
If you grind a piece of clay long enough between two rocks, you just might create enough ink to create a butterfly... more travel advice
Ever noticed how beautiful it is at Tembeling Jetty? You know, the place where you board a boat to Taman Negara. Click... more travel advice
- Try and go on a packaged deal
- How to get to Taman Negara
- Visiting the Orang Asli Village
- See All Jungle Treking, at Night
bpacker's Related Pages
Taman Negara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Janes of the Jungle"
- "Taman Negara-Your Jungle adventure begins here!"
- "Taman Negara - The Largest National Park in M'sia"
- "visiting a tropical rainforest"
- "Taman Negara - Malaysia's great national park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taman Negara
- Hotels in Taman Negara
- Transportation in Taman Negara
- Nightlife in Taman Negara
- Restaurants in Taman Negara
- Shopping in Taman Negara
- Warnings and Dangers in Taman Negara
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Taman Negara
- 53 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Taman Negara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taman Negara
- Posted in Travel Lijiang Forum "Re: Moon Inn"
- Commented on one of Wild_Orchid's Taman Negara travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wildlife in Taman Negara : HornBill Nestling"
- updated a Taman Negara Travel Page "Janes of the Jungle"
- Wrote a Review Doddling on your friend's back in Taman Negara Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Taman NegaraSee All Photos (91)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues