"Janes of the Jungle" Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara by bpacker

Taman Negara Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 489 photos

Taman Negara National Park

After combing Scandinavia with my childhood girl pals, I decided not to under-estimate the power of an all-girl trip. Not only did it deepened our friendship, the sisterly assurance built up much of my confidence for adventure. I became a Lucy Lawless overnight, minus the biceps and homosexuality, of course. So when the opportunity came for me to explore Taman Negara with two other gal pals, I jumped at the chance. It helped that I had an understanding partner who knew I didn't want to wallow in cold, cold Korea! While hubby was freezing his butt off in -5c Seoul, I was happily gallivanting from tree to tree in the balmy, warm jungle of Pahang. It turned out to be an adventurous, girl-bonding trip. I never knew how much I missed those long and honest conversations, the lurid jokes and the slumber party feel. Now, if only every gal were to go on a trip like this, there won't be a market for Prozac no more. Yes, we were laughing our heads off, never mind if we were in a room that had no air-con and a stinky loo.

We were Janes of the Jungle enjoying each other's company and ready to conquer the park!

And conquer we did, we had a fantastic time exploring the intricate ecosystem of Taman Negara. I mean, how often do you find out that elephant poop is responsible for fertilising a big tree in front of you? We also shot the rapids, went into a claustrophobic bat cave and polished off all their droppings on our shorts and hands. Oh yeah, we never felt more primal than that. That was no way we could have done that in urban Singapore! Guess what really helped us forget our woes was another fun-loving group of new friends from Klang, Malaysia and ahem, Bavaria, Germany. Somehow, the group chemistry turned out right and everyone had a great time . Lillian, Alice and my new friends from M'sia and Germany, this page is dedicated to you.

The True Natives of Taman Negara

Like the Amazon, Taman Negara has a band of indigenous inhabitants called the "Orang Asli". They look nothing like the Malaysians. Instead, their strong Negroid features were more reminiscent of the Aborigines in Australia.Of course, there's where the similarity ends, these folks don't go on strike or complain about unemployment as they literally live off the land. Click here to see more pictures.

The other Natives - Flora and Fauna

Other than the Orang Asli, there is a myriad of other inhabitants in Taman Negara. Too numerous for me to name (that's for sure) but I tried to capture as many as I could with my nifty Sony digi camera. Here's a jaunty little fellow with an unusually large yellow beak.

• Pros:Indigenous flora and fauna, good clean air and water
  • Cons:Sandflies, Dung from Bats, Elephants and every other animal
  • In a nutshell:Pristine Virgin Jungle
  • Last visit to Taman Negara: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2005

• Nov 21, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Yay, bugs! Love the catapiller. Now I must remember, being a fat basty, not to go cave blocking. Cheers again Glen. Jemolski.

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2006 at 4:55 AM

Just the pictures for a cold winter's day (as it is here) - brings back fond memories of my muddy walks around Taman Negara - cheers!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2006 at 12:34 AM

Serves 'em right for forgetting the fling in the fries as well ;~)

• y_lyn's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2006 at 8:50 AM

Moi going to Taman Negara tomorrow :D Your travel pages really help a lot in my planning... Thanks a lot!!

• Apr 11, 2006 at 11:59 PM

Awesome Tmn Negara page. I must try caving the next time I visit. Looks like fun! If you're into National Parks or adventure holidays, try the Belum forest in Perak, white water rafting in Jeram Besu Pahang or more caving in the Mulu Caves, Sarawak.

• i-s-a's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2006 at 9:00 PM

One adventure trip that I truly enjoy...and I'm not even part of it! Thanks Glen! I love these kinds of travels but my back will kill me for sure. The suspension bridge and the views are so lovely. Hmmm...another place to add in my list of my wants LOL.

• doreeny's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2006 at 8:26 AM

Went to Taman Negara prior to my Endau Rompin trip. Your VT page brought back fond memories :) I gather from ur travel page that u haven't try white water kayaking @ endau rompin?

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2005 at 10:11 PM

This park brings me good memories!

• CaiBingyu's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2005 at 7:40 AM

Hi, Wow i learned a lot about taman negara from your article! I think it's very informative i cant wait to plan for an adventure there. Cheers~!

• Wafro's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2005 at 12:05 PM

This is as complete as complete could be. Great pictures and helpful tips. GRTZ

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Taman Negara

Have you been to Taman Negara?

Latest Activity in Taman Negara