"A Fishing Village on Stilts" Top 5 Page for this destination Kukup by bpacker
Kukup Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 339 photos
Right down at the edge of Johor's brackish waters, lies a little village that rest on stilts above the water. Now this charming place is called Kukup Laut and it's over here where you'll find houses, temples and restaurants linked by a series of creaky wooden walkways. Yes, this place does have its quaint and rustic charms and it has appealed to me, many other Singaporeans and other unfortunate urban dwellers. There's nothing more we love but to drive out to the water's edge over here for a spot of seafood and sightseeing.
Now, before you think touring a bog is a pretty daft idea, let me just say, very casually that Pulau Kukup Johor National Park is the biggest mangrove swamp island in the world. Taking a look at it will give you an idea of Yoda's swamp planet and life in the wetlands. And no, visiting it won't make you a Jedi but it'll sure hell make you appreciate nature a bit more. Click here to read more about it.
Besides the biggest bog island in the world, there's lots of floating fish farms (Kelongs) that bob up and down on Kukup's waters. And on those farms, you can find pretty strange decorative items for your house. Click here to read more about it.
- Pros:Delicious and fresh seafood at reasonable prices
- Cons:Pot holes on roads, hellish if you're a biker
- In a nutshell:Charming village on Stilts
Bring lots of anti-mossie spray if you're going to Kukup. I didn't and I brought back itchy welts of mossie and sand fly... more travel advice
As we walked on the boardwalk, we saw a tall dark shadow, hmm, could it be the temple of doom in Kukup? more travel advice
- See All The Smart Way to Park in Kukup
- See All No Ringgits for Shopping?
- See All More of a Chinese Village
- Kelong and Mangrove Tour
bpacker's Related Pages
Kukup Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Fishing Village on Stilts"
- "Kukup - Small town by the sea with good seafood"
- "Kukup or Kukup Laut"
- "K U K U P - fishing community"
- "Nice Little Town Called Kukup"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kukup
- Hotels in Kukup
- Transportation in Kukup
- Nightlife in Kukup
- Restaurants in Kukup
- Shopping in Kukup
- Warnings and Dangers in Kukup
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kukup
- 37 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Kukup?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kukup
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues