"Biking and Birding at Parit Jawa" Parit Jawa by bpacker

Parit Jawa Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 17 photos

Tales of Birding and Biking in Malaysia

Now after the success of the last birding and biking trip in Tanjung Tuan, hubby and myself and raring to go up north again. This time round, our destination was Parit Jawa, a little fishing port somewhere in the depths of Muar. Now, this place may be obscure to the rest of the world but it's actually a birder's mecca. Why?

Well, the rich, silty banks of the Parit Jawa is home to the Lesser Adjutant Stock. Now, this is one hell of an ugly bird but it's rare and endangered and a GOOD lifer ( birdspeak: first sight of a bird) for a birder.

Word has it that the population of this tall bird has grown since one lone stork was rescued and spotted by the locals in 2001. Other than the stork, there were also other waders to be seen. Also, there was good food to be had - Muddybok assured me! So off we went...

And yes, it turned out to be the best birding and biking trip we ever had.
- Traffic was smooth and we took just an hour on the BMW RT1100 to travel from Singapore to Parit Jawa.
- The port was just bloody swarming with hundreds of birds, even at the late birding hour of 10am and I had a field day photographing my muses. There were lots of eye candy to choose from, kites, egrets, herons, plovers, you name it and of course, the ADJUTANT STORK! Not too sure if the bald bird falls within the eye candy label but still this was one, tall, awesome creature. I felt so priviledged as a birder to be able to see this creature at a relativel close range.
- And that's not all, the seafood there was unbelievably good and affordable. We filled our belllies with good food, birded some more before we biked back.

• Pros:A Birder's and Seafood-glutton's Haven
  • Cons:The fishing port is a little stinky
  • In a nutshell:Never mind the smell, this place is wildlife paradise!
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2007

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Parit Jawa

Have you been to Parit Jawa?

Latest Activity in Parit Jawa