Wonosobo Restaurant Tips by bpacker
Wonosobo Restaurants: 6 reviews and 8 photos
It must be some kind of conspiracy, in hotels all over the world, to serve food that is as far removed from reality and local taste as possible. It was also the case in Wonosobo, Java, Gallery Hotel. Though breakfast was delicious, it was unreal.
Favorite Dish: When you stay in Gallery Hotel, you'll get a free, delicious breakfast. We had bubur ayam(chicken porridge) and soto ayam(savoury chicken noodle soup). The bubur ayam was better and topped very prettily with a whole egg, croutons, spring onions, chickens, peanuts and sheletered with a piece of cracker ( Kerepok).
(Clockwise) Teh Jahe, Sop Buntut and Ayam Bakar
Just outside the periphery of Wonsobo's main mall and pasar, there are a myraid of roving vendors ( kaki limas) and small warungs ( coffeeshops ). When we were walking around at 6pm, only 3 warungs were open, one selling Chinese food, the other Nasi Padang and the other selling Fried Chicken. We chose the last one and settled down for a feast. Earlier, we were caught in a torrential rainstorm and we wanted some food to warm ourselves
Favorite Dish: It's not just the Chinese that believe that food has medicinal properties, most south east Asians do too. When I was in Wonosobo (a mountain village 2000m above sea level) , I found out that the local dishes were meatier and the drinks spiced with ingredients believed to give warmth to the body. Take the local tea for example (teh jahe), it's made of ginger, cinammon, sugar and spiked with pepper. The stew (sop buntut) on the other hand has chunky pieces of ox tail and is spiced with cloves ( a 'warm' spice). Colourful garden vegetables top the stew. I had both the stew and tea as I was caught in a rain earlier that day. It tasted good and it warmed my spirits and body . The stew was savoury and the tea was refreshing and not nearly as spicy as I thought it would be. I had a piece of grilled chicken (Ayam Bakar ) too and like the ones sold in Yogya, it was sweet and charred at the ends.
Cost: A meal like this cost about a paltry USD2-3 per person.
Comparison: about average
Price: less than US$10
Soya Bean Puffs for Sale
Sometimes, it pays to venture out of your 4/5* hotel instead of eating the unreal food they serve in there. I did it in Wonosobo (Java) and boy was I glad, there were lots of street vendors clustered around the tiny mall and pasar ( market ) over there. Once you walk over there, you can smell hot food. I walked over to a kaki lima ( roving vendor ) and bought the village's specialty, crispy fried soya bean puffs smeared with sticky black sauce. It was unbelievably good. The fried banana was good too, so was the fried cassava.
Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$10
Theme: Street Vendor
More Reviews (7)
bpacker's Related Pages
Wonosobo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lengger Dance at Anggrunggondok"
- "The Last Major Town before Dieng"
- "Wonosobo-Gateway to Dieng Plateau"
- "Wonosobo - Transit Before Dieng Plateau"
- "KLEDUNG PASS, the jewel of WONOSOBO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wonosobo
- Hotels in Wonosobo
- Transportation in Wonosobo
- Restaurants in Wonosobo
- Shopping in Wonosobo
- Warnings and Dangers in Wonosobo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wonosobo
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Wonosobo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wonosobo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues