"The Last Major Town before Dieng" Wonosobo by bpacker
Wonosobo Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 102 photos
From the Official Tourism Pages of Yogya: "The regency of Wonosobo is mountainous region, located 150 km north west of Yogya, 145 Km southwest of Semarang. The last major town before Dieng is Wonosobo, a pleasant and cool city and could be used as a base for tourists visiting Dieng. In the east are Gunung Sumbing (3371 M) and Gunung Sindoro (3135 M), a handsome pair of sleeping volcanoes. In the north are Gunung Perahu (2565 M) and 2600 M heights of Dieng Plateau, in the west are Kulon mountains. The city of Wonosobo is about 2000 M above sea level."
I have to admit that if it weren't for Dieng Plateau, I wouldn't travel hundreds of km just to be here. All I wanted was a peek of the oldest Javanese chandis (temples) and volcanic craters and I reckoned that an overnighter near the region would be better than a long bus tour from Yogya. Well, I got more than I bargained for. Though some might call it high adventure, travelling by bus from Yogya via Magelang to Wonosobo for 150km was trying for an urbanite. Guess the interaction with the local farm animals(live chickens in baskets) and the non-existent suspension didn't help matters. Neither did travelling in heavy torrential rains and zero visibility help ease matters, especially when you know that the bus is heading some 2000m above sea level! Well, I'm glad to say that I arrived in Wonosobo in one piece. And so much for being agitated by chickens on board a bus, I later took the same mode of transport from here to Solo via Bawen. There were no chickens this time.
- Pros:Gorgeous views of Mountains from here
- Cons:This is really a sleepy town
- In a nutshell:A comfortable base for exploring Dieng
Right in the middle of Wonosobo is a gigantic field. Now, it's used as a park for courting couples at night and for... more travel advice
All around Java, you'll see remnants of Dutch Colonialism. The remote mountain town of Wonosobo is no exempt. This... more travel advice
bpacker's Related Pages
Wonosobo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lengger Dance at Anggrunggondok"
- "The Last Major Town before Dieng"
- "Wonosobo-Gateway to Dieng Plateau"
- "Wonosobo - Transit Before Dieng Plateau"
- "KLEDUNG PASS, the jewel of WONOSOBO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wonosobo
- Hotels in Wonosobo
- Transportation in Wonosobo
- Restaurants in Wonosobo
- Shopping in Wonosobo
- Warnings and Dangers in Wonosobo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wonosobo
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Wonosobo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wonosobo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Latest Wonosobo hotel reviews
- Gallery Hotel Kresna Wonosobo
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013