"The Royal Capital of Indonesia" Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta by bpacker

Yogyakarta Travel Guide: 752 reviews and 1,962 photos

Dusting off the Remnants of the Earthquake

Latest Update: On 26 May 2006, a powerful earthquake hit Yogyakarta at dawn after the wake of the volcanic eruption at Mount Merapi. Since then, Yogya has gotten back on her knees and dusted off the remants of the disaster. Her buildings are repaired and some of her tourist attractions are now open to the public. If you're coming to this royal town, click here to check if the place you're going to is open to the public.

My Thanks to my faithful readers for reading my yet-complete pages. It's taking a long time to construct as I'm doing my Solo, Wonosobo and Dieng pages simultaneously. Honestly speaking Yogya exceeded my expectations. I love this place, the culture and the people. I will return some day with my husband and share with him my love for this place.

• Pros:Wonderful Temples, Palaces, Delicious Food
  • Cons:Quite an understatement but Earthquake-Prone!
  • In a nutshell:Quite the haven for an Indiana Jones wannabe
  • Last visit to Yogyakarta: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2007

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2014 at 10:27 AM

It is a pity that you are not active

• elpariente's Profile Photo

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:04 AM

Good info Glen, thanks for sharing - would come in handy for me. -m-

• cokes's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 8:55 AM

Nice Page Glen. I booked my trip last year to go to Jogja and then because of the earthquake I had to go to another place because of damage to my hotel. I hope to go there sometime soon as I was really looking forward to my trip there.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 12:01 AM

Kalpataru on the wall, and two Kinara's held in your thrall.

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 7:48 AM

Remarkable Wayang Kulit FAQ.Thanks glen.

• Jun 7, 2006 at 8:51 PM

I just realise that God has given us the grace to visit this beautiful city shortly before the earthquake. Pambanan Temple is beautiful and I wonder how many people have this opportunity to appreciate this beauty.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2006 at 11:58 PM

Thanks for your vivid tips on this beautiful area. It was a shock to see the earthquake reports.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 3:37 AM

thanks so much glen. 2 pavillions of sri sultan hamengkubuwono IX and my beloved watercastle and prambanan temple will never be the same again after the earthquake :( but keep hoping that everybody and places will recovery soon in jogja! crossing fingers!

• eelaine's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2006 at 6:45 AM

hey there.. your trip sounds good!! :) can't wait to hear all about it!!

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Yogyakarta

Have you been to Yogyakarta?

Latest Activity in Yogyakarta