"Under Construction - The Last Angkor City" Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Thum by bpacker
Angkor Thum Travel Guide: 249 reviews and 845 photos
Other than the famous Angkor Wat, the fortified city of Angkor Thom also beckoned to me. I had to see this place, the last capital of the Khmer Kingdom. The place where the LAST royal priests, officials, military and administrators of the kingdom lived before they were chased out by the friendly Thai army of Ayuthaya in 1431. How sad they must have been to leave such a magnificent city! Angkor Thom represented the world to them and indeed it was a mini universe. The square wall enclosing the city of Angkor Thom represented the mountain ranges around Mount Meru and the surrounding moat (now dry) around the wall symbolized the ocean. Bayon, the famous temple within represented the link between heaven and earth. Of course, even before I entered, I was awed by the stone sculptures of the Gods. Ay, they greeted me before I entered the famous gates of Angkor Thom..
The Bayon, which lies right at the centre of Angkor Thom is the most famous structure in the whole of Angkor Thom. You might have heard about this wonderful place where you can find the enigmatic smiling faces of Brahma, a four-faced god. Somehow, looking at the faces struck a chord in me, I was reminded of an enigmatic painting I saw at the Lourve. That's right, to me Brahma was the Mona Lisa of the East.
And not too far from the Bayon, lies Terrace of the Elephants, and other structures. Of course, I loved the Terrace above everything else in Angkor Thom. Why? Because I love elephants!
- Pros:A must for every temple enthusiast. Intricate carvings found here!
- Cons:Do expect some jig-saw puzzle type temple wrecks.
- In a nutshell:Wonderful, Magical Walled City of Temples
Right along the North Gallery, you can can see a circus act of dwarfs (below) and strong men(above, supporting the... more travel advice
Here's a close-up of the lion chimera(deviated life form that is part human, part animal) at the Elephant Terrace. He's... more travel advice
bpacker's Related Pages
Angkor Thum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angkor Thom - Amazing Stone Faces"
- "Under Construction - The Last Angkor City"
- "Angkor Thom"
- "Thousand peaceful faces of The King"
- "The Bayon at Angkor Thom"
- "The Walled City of Amazing Temples"
- "Angkor Thum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angkor Thum
- Hotels in Angkor Thum
- Transportation in Angkor Thum
- Restaurants in Angkor Thum
- Warnings and Dangers in Angkor Thum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angkor Thum
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Angkor Thum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angkor Thum
- Posted in Travel Lijiang Forum "Re: Moon Inn"
- updated a Angkor Thum Travel Page "Under Construction - The Last Angkor City"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Under Construction - The Last Angkor City"
- Wrote a Review Scenes from the Bayon : The Circus in Angkor Thum Things to Do
- Commented on one of herzog63's Angkor Thum travel pages
Photos in Angkor ThumSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues