"Angkor Wat Rediscovered" Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Wat by bpacker

Angkor Wat Travel Guide: 1,665 reviews and 4,853 photos

Contrary to belief, the wonders of Angkor were never completely lost. It was the publication of Henri Mouhot's (1826-1861) Voyage a Siam et dans le Cambodge that led to his reputation as the "discoverer" of the Angkorian world. Of course, when this Ang Mo (Westerner) discovered Angkor Wat, it was relatively well-kept by a sentinel of monks! Well, I don't blame this ang mo really, because like Mahout, I felt that I was discovering Angkor Wat for the first time when I was there. Words just cannot describe the awe I felt when I saw the sunrise over at Angkor Wat. Suddenly, I was Mouhot, I wanted to tell the whole world about this beautiful place! And I will attempt to do so, online, over here. Just take note that this site will be MORE serious compared to the rest of my kooky pages. It's full of detailed explanations of ancient carvings based on my sorry knowledge of mythology. Umashanker, the real Hindu expert, has kindly vetted my page to weed out the mistakes. This page is dedicated to him.

• Pros:Templed out? What's that?
  • In a nutshell:An El Dorado for art history lovers
  • Last visit to Angkor Wat: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 13, 2006

• Eggboy's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2008 at 6:16 AM

Love your work on this page. You really know your Khmer temples but you also have a wicked sense of humour.

• JRiel's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 2:49 PM

haha... i love the caption on this pic! good stuff

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 7:44 AM

Wow! There's really so much to see.

• sweetie_inc's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 4:32 AM

I'm already awe by the cravings from ur pict... being a sporean, we are definitely very suaku when we see these stuff..haha!.. my next destination is Cambodia and be awed!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2006 at 12:51 PM

great tips Glen! I am on my way her in Feb!

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2006 at 7:04 AM

Magnificent pics and tips of an amazing place! Hope to be there next year - until than Ill enjoy your page ;-)

• Sep 13, 2006 at 7:38 PM

lovely page

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 9:55 PM

Divine willy's in the waterways? As usual... another fabulously fluent feature from bpacker :~)

• gwen_tifa's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2006 at 7:14 AM

I love the way you have woven your stories together with the pictures! You must have been very well read about the Hindu gods and Cambodian history.

• bike_packer's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 2:23 AM

those warning tips made me laugh. anyways, i'll take them seriously.

bpacker

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Badges & Stats in Angkor Wat

Have you been to Angkor Wat?

Latest Activity in Angkor Wat