Tai O Things to Do Tips by bpacker Top 5 Page for this destination
Tai O Things to Do: 14 reviews and 19 photos
Narrow lanes meander through tiny Tai O village. These little walkways are barely two metres wide and every once in a while, you'll see children playing and village elders walking through. Oversized signs hang and almost touch overhead .
Colourful Clan Banners fly overhead the village of Tai O. Traditions, customs and folks practices are pretty much alive in this place. It's almost as though time has stand still for this place while the rest of HK continues to evolve.
You'll see dried oysters and clams for sale everywhere you go in Tai O. They're ugly as hell but one wrinkled oyster can make the difference between a full-bodied broth and an ordinary soup.
All too soon, dusk falls on Tai O and the village slumbers under a purple-streaked sky.
And in those narrow lanes, in little nooks and crevices are shophouses selling dried seafood like fish skin, fish stomach and other stuff some folks won't dream of eating.
Initially, I thought that Tai O was built over a delta river but it's actually straddling a small sea channel between Lantau and a small island on which part of the village lies.
Everywhere in Tai O are little shanty houses precariously built on stilts with crude ladders leading to small fishing boats.
Salted dried fish, hang to dry in the hot sun on poles. Traditional method of preserving fish and a reminder that time stands still for Tai O.
The first thing that you'll see upon entering Tai O is a steel footbridge that has replaced an old rope ferry that was once operated by elderly women .
More Reviews (15)
bpacker's Related Pages
Tai O Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tai O oozes with Rustic Charm"
- "Rustic Fishing Village in the Modern HK"
- "The village on stilts"
- "Tai O"
- "Tai O fishing village"
- "A village on stilts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tai O
- Transportation in Tai O
- Restaurants in Tai O
- Warnings and Dangers in Tai O
- See All...
Explore the World
- New York State
- Zimbabwe Hotels
- Bergen op Zoom
- San Francisco
- Seaside Heights Hotels
- Xi'an Hotels
- Mount Tamalpais State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Tai O
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Tai O?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tai O
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues