"Tai O oozes with Rustic Charm" Top 5 Page for this destination Tai O by bpacker
Tai O Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 55 photos
In between helping my friend plan for a glitzy wedding in Hong Kong, my friends and I had little pockets of time for a breather. Well, one day, we decided to make our breather a little greener than usual and set out to the rural outpost of Tai O. While it's been dubbed the Venice of Hong Kong by hopeful tourist literature, it's certainly no more than a motley of slum-like houses built on top of wooden stilts. In place of gondolas are rickety wooden fishing boats, tanned descendants from China in place of singing boatsmen and glorious seafood restaurants instead of gelato stands. There's nothing remotely Venetian about this place except for the briny waterways and the raised houses. Still, Tai O has its charms.
Set against an impressive green backdrop of mountains, Tai O floats above the brown briny waters on stilts and is connected to the world via by a short bridge. Cross the bridge and you'll meander through narrow walkways where children play on tricycles, elders walk slowly on canes and locals hang out the day's catch to dry.
Ever frequently, you'll see boats chugging out to the sea, fishermen hoping to catch a boatload of fish and birds descending down on Tai O, doing the same. Little egrets are common visitors here, they stand by the mudbanks, greeting the local tourist on boat rides and catching small meals of fish at the same time.
- Pros:Oozing with Rustic Charm
- Cons:Not as Venetian as Literature Makes it up to Be
Now if you're a true foodie in Hong Kong, you'll know that that the best seafood to be had over here is in Tai O.... more travel advice
bpacker's Related Pages
Tai O Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tai O oozes with Rustic Charm"
- "Rustic Fishing Village in the Modern HK"
- "The village on stilts"
- "Tai O"
- "Tai O fishing village"
- "A village on stilts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tai O
- Transportation in Tai O
- Restaurants in Tai O
- Warnings and Dangers in Tai O
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tai O
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Tai O?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tai O
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues