"Of Skis and Soap Operas" Kangnung by bpacker
Kangnung Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 38 photos
What do skis and soap operas have in common? A lot if you consider that a romantic soapie was filmed right in this ski resort. Never mind if only one leading actor can snowboard decently ( Bae Yong Jin!!), the romantic tear-jerker had a huge following in Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong etc. Yes, thousands, including me, wept over the ludicrous plot that over-stretched itself. The only saving grace was the beautiful backdrop of Yong Pyong. The shizophrenic lovers frolicked in this place and tempted many others to follow suit. But so much for frolicking, this place is intended for those to do serious skiing. Afterall, wasn't this the site of the winter Olympic games? Another site that was used for the Olympics is Muju Ski Resort but that's further away from Seoul and has reputedly less snowfall.
I did 3 intense days of skiing and despite my challenged psychomotor skills, I managed to zig zag my way down the slope by the second day . I'm proud to say that I didn't return with a leg cast or cause a major Korean avalanche over there. Maybe I'll return some day....
There was a snow festival of some sort in the little snowy town near Yong Pyong. Lovely place, lots of good food and Korean igloos. Hmm?
This is strictly for fans of W.S and for those who wish to challenge their supply of grey cells. Check out my travelogue and read more about it...
- Pros:Lots of snow for you to frolick or ski on ...
- Cons:Too many darn skiers over here! Inconsiderate snow boarders, so-so accomodations
- In a nutshell:More of a ski place for the younger crowd
Fancy dining at more than 1400m above sea level? There is a beautiful Western restaurant that's situated at the peak of... more travel advice
Yong Pyong can be quite scenic so why not take a walk during the day time while the rest of the people are on the... more travel advice
- Ski Equipment
- See All Sokcho to KangNung to Hwengye to Yong...
- See All No kettle in the 5* hotel over here...
- Yong Pyong Super Mart
- Skiing at Night!
bpacker's Related Pages
Kangnung Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kangnung
- Hotels in Kangnung
- Transportation in Kangnung
- Nightlife in Kangnung
- Restaurants in Kangnung
- Shopping in Kangnung
- Warnings and Dangers in Kangnung
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kangnung
- 17 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Kangnung?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kangnung
Photos in KangnungSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 140 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 68 reviews, 114 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 62 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khett Siem Reab Intro, 53 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 51 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 55 reviews, 84 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 45 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yogyakarta Intro, 42 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues