"Utrecht - Idyllic City in the Central Netherlands" Utrecht by Heinisuo
Utrecht Travel Guide: 640 reviews and 1,568 photos
I went to Utrecht with my girlfriend for a one saturday.
We had no idea what to seek or discover in Utrecht - we just wondered on the streets for a while in order to see the neighbourhood.
Utrecht is the fourth largest city of the Netherlands, with more than quarter of million inhabitants. It’s situated approximately 50 km east from The Hague, 25 km south from Amsterdam.
In my opinion, Utrecht is one of the most beautiful cities in the Netherlands, from those few, which I’ve visited. The older part of the city has idyllic and beautiful pedestrian streets and buildings. And it all sums up in Utrecht Cathedral, its clock tower and the square around it. Nice aspects of the older part are also the restaurants and cafeterias along the canals, below the street level.
In addition to old architecture, there is quite a big shopping district just next to the central railway station. You can start you walk inside the station and continue straight to those shops without getting wet (which can happen every once in a while in Holland). Railway station also acts as a sort of a divider between older and newer parts of the city.
- Pros:Nice looking town. Old buildings and streets but also newer activities.
- Cons:Might make you feel that you'll get lost, when walking the first time in the small older streets of the city.
One of the things to do and see in Utrecht are the canals and the city in general. Just walk along the streets and see... more travel advice
Heinisuo's Related Pages
Utrecht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Utrecht - superb city to live in and/or to explore"
- "ULTRAJECTUM (as the Romans called it)"
- "As It Turned Out - Well Worth A Visit AND Now Two!"
- "Right in the middle."
- "Back in town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Utrecht
- Hotels in Utrecht
- Transportation in Utrecht
- Nightlife in Utrecht
- Restaurants in Utrecht
- Shopping in Utrecht
- Warnings and Dangers in Utrecht
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Utrecht
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Utrecht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Utrecht
- Posted in Travel Tampere Forum "RE: Things to do during the day..."
- updated a Utrecht Travel Page "Utrecht - Idyllic City in the Central Netherlands"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Utrecht - Idyllic City in the Central Netherlands"
- Wrote a Review Canals and their surroundings about Canals in Utrecht Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Noordwijk aan Zee Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tampere Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Finland Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rotterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torrevieja Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Alicante Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Utrecht Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos