"In the central highlands" Faritanin' Antananarivo by Norali
Faritanin' Antananarivo Travel Guide: 407 reviews and 1,144 photos
This little page to introduce Faritanin' Antananarivo and its cities.
Well, this province lies in the central highlands (700m-1500m altitude). It is the only one province of the island that does not have access to the sea. It is inhabited by Merina people ("those who live in the heights").
It comprehends capital city, Antananarivo as well as Antsirabe, Mantasoa. Both are areas that are dedicated to industry, Antsirabe for nowadays industry and Mantasoa had hosted past glories. See my pages on Antananarivo and Antsirabe cities. I even have a page on VT about the village where I live: it is Malaza. Malaza Avaradrano (: Malaza North Bank because located North of the Ikopa river).
Apart from that, there are those royal cities that played huge role in Merina and Madagascar histories. The most prestigious one is Ambohimanga. Click to view the page on this city that is located very close to my homeplace. Well, in fact, my village, Malaza, is part of Ambohimanga Rova municipality.
Landscapes are made of those: ricefields plains at the foot of rocky hills. The charm of Imerina region is not in the lush forest neither in desert and canyons. It is rather in mountains and hills (tanety), Ankaratra massif (2700m), plains, steppes, ricefields and the people.
What impresses me most, while tripping in the Highlands, is the view of lunar landscape in Andringitra massif. Mountains are huge and have those grey rocks and menhirs on their sides. See below Tlogues for that.
And rivers run through it! Ikopa is the biggest in Tana province.
Lakes and rivers are common to this area. Volcano lakes, sometimes, esp. in ntsirabe area. Beware of fady (interdicts) near some sacred lakes.
Don't forget, red earth, red-earth-brick houses and enclosure walls.
Enclosure walls, tamboho use to protect hamlets, smallers properties from assaulters.
Highlands are made of those too. At the bottom of cracks run rivers sometimes. Small "villages" of few houses are located in there as well.
This province is the most populated in Madagascar though, outside cities like Tana, Antsirabe, Mantasoa and Ambatolampy, it is quite empty.
- Pros:Amazing landscape, not sticky hot, good culinary trip
- In a nutshell:A perfect region for roadtrips: plains alternate with hills
Since this is the main reason, for many, to visit Ambohimanga, how couldn't I talk about one of the two World Heritage... more travel advice
Views, yes. 360°, check. Aerial, check. Scenic, check. "King of the world feeling", check. But first, the climb. Short... more travel advice
- See All Religion- Belief system
- See All Trano Gasy: the traditional Merina house
- See All Ghost cars, ox carts while taking a...
- See All Biking
- See All Taxi-brousses are not a miracle-...
Norali's Related Pages
Faritanin' Antananarivo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Faritanin' Antananarivo
- Hotels in Faritanin' Antananarivo
- Transportation in Faritanin' Antananarivo
- Nightlife in Faritanin' Antananarivo
- Restaurants in Faritanin' Antananarivo
- Shopping in Faritanin' Antananarivo
- Warnings and Dangers in Faritanin' Antananarivo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Faritanin' Antananarivo
- 277 Reviews
- 650 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Faritanin' Antananarivo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Faritanin' Antananarivo
- updated a Faritanin' Antananarivo Travel Page "In the central highlands"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Crochet bag... for bag ladies"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hiking"
- Wrote a Review Ambohimanga Royal Hill, UNESCO World Heritage site in Faritanin' Antananarivo Things to Do
- Commented on one of quapaw's Faritanin' Antananarivo travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues