Madagascar Hotel Tips by Norali Top 5 Page for this destination
Madagascar Hotels: 45 reviews and 69 photos
Ask Le Capricorne to arrange trips to Ifaty (Anne)
Hotel Capricorne, best hotel in town (talking of Toliara area, not the whole island). Nice, comfortable and clean bungalows, comfortable air conditioned rooms, good oper air restaurant, discreet and efficient personnel in a superb complex.
I discovered it at night. Ambience was mysterious as night was warm and I was tempted to stay in the garden, under patios, listening to peoples' conversations. But bed was calling me :-)
Great food as well. I appreciated my breakfast: fresh juice, papaya and pineapple slices, toasted bread and Sahambavy tea...
Price in 2003:
Studio 50,00 Euros
Single room with air co: 42,70 Euros
Extra Bed 8,40 Euros
Unique Qualities: Gardens full of flower. Patios lead to bungalows and pavillions. Many hidden corners to take pictures... Bending coconut trees
Bathroom was comfortable, warm water, air conditioning.
The Hotel uses to arrange trips to Ifaty (see pic), Morombe, Taolanaro nautic resorts... since it is not allowed to swim at urban Toliara seafront.
They can take you at airport as well, arrange seat booking for your flights, rent cars, hires guides, medical care assistance in case of problems... Kind of resourceful institution! Very helpful!
I rated as "less expensive than average" because services range is comprehensive and personnel is highly efficient.
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Hotel Capricorne
People are really "in" the streets by Marc
Rather an expensive hotel in urban area than a cheaper one in remote area (esp. in Tana). For one reason: traffic jam... and ignorance of circulation code as well (see my pic and look where pedestrians are, it's even worse in crowded urban areas).
As for traffic jams, an example: In the 80es, it took me 45 minutes to join urban area from our place in North Tana. Nowadays, it takes my Dad 1.30 min - 2 hours to do so...
Alternative: Rather hire a chauffeur to move around cities.. and choose a hotel located in urban area since there are things to do in urban Tana (zoo, uptown, markets, outlets, administration, all main embassies...)
Well, I wrote this tip for Tana but it applies in other cities as well. In Tulear and Fianar, I know that Hotel Capricorne (Tulear) and Hotel moderne (Fianar) arrange your trekking to interesting spots in the area since they own resorts in those remote spots as well. Hotel Capricorne, Lakana Vezo in Ifaty, Le gallion in Taolagnaro and Reserve de Berenty belong to the same owner. In Toamasina, Hotel Joffre and Hotel Neptune are reliable as well.
Directions: Hotel Colbert (Rue Printsy Ratsimamanga), Hilton (Anosy), Radama Hotel, Ibis (both Antaninarenina), Hotel Capricorne (Tulear) and Hotel moderne (Fianar), In Toamasina, Hotel Joffre and Neptune ...
Most beautiful hotel in M/car by Norali
I appreciated there architecture and the use of materials according to the building's environment ( a kind of built in/on rocks). I really fell for it!
Not only it greatly differs from hotels' building in Madagascar but I kind of appeciated its real beauty made of grey and pinkish stone (same as you will find in Isalo area).
Isn'it beautiful? I would use for a kind of honeymoon stay :-) Yeah, one can dream. Alongside with desert and natural reserves and natural rock pool in Isalo region.
And inside, it was all cool and fresh for this warm and dry area.
For more pics, check my album in my Madagascar page:
Unique Qualities: Swimming pool- Rock pool- Arranges trekking- horseriding- Ecotourism
Great view from the tope of the hills that surrounded bungalows...
Price of a double-room in 1998: FF 350. I would check for amount in USD...
More expensive that most of hotels but less expensive than others in its categories (Hilton would charge FF 950 instead..). And less expensive compared to quality it offers.
Plus, from persons who stayed there in 2000, service was professional. It was a great experience for them but since I've never stayed there, just visted, I find it fair not to rate it.
So far, it seems to be the only nice hotel near the park, the others tend to be a bit lousy... Will look for others though.
Address: Relais de la reine*** (Isalo National park)
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: At boarder of Ihosy National park and is located in Ranohira
Phone: + 22 351 65
A web page with hotels tarriffs in several cities of Madagascar.
Drop me a line whenever you need help browsing this website. A bit stuffy but useful...
More Reviews (105)
- See All Foza Orana: 2009 crisis emblem
- See All Ampefy - Itasy area
- See All Night-service drugstores
- See All Romazava, the "other" national dish
- See All The best comfort food for sweettoothed...
- See All Religion- Belief system
- See All Cycling to sightseeing, with the help of...
- See All A smiling person is not making fun of...
- See All Silence, serenity.. only nature would...
- See All Manakara
- See All Air-Madagascar international & internal...
- Medecines, Mosquito repellent,...
Norali's Related Pages
Madagascar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TONGA SOA"
- "Under heavy construction!!!!!!"
- "NATURALLY MADAGASCAR"
- "Madagascar, an island filled with friendly faces"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madagascar
- Hotels in Madagascar
- Transportation in Madagascar
- Nightlife in Madagascar
- Restaurants in Madagascar
- Shopping in Madagascar
- Warnings and Dangers in Madagascar
- See All...
Explore the World
- The Reefs
- The Standard
- Blackheath Lodge
- Verano Hotel
- Holiday Inn Los Angeles Downtown
- Suisse Hotel
- Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
- Cruachan Hotel
- Sheraton Suites Galleria
- Phong Nha Hotel
- Langdon House Christchurch
- Holiday Club Katinkulta Hotel
- Glacier Bay Lodge (199 Bartlett Cove Road.)
- Hotel Lassalle Austria Trend
Badges & Stats in Madagascar
- 554 Reviews
- 1,105 Photos
- 73 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Madagascar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madagascar
Read real reviews about Madagascar Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (70)
Top Madagascar hotels
- Antananarivo Hotels
- 192 Reviews - 470 Photos
- Toamasina Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 65 Photos
- Nosy Sainte Marie Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Nosy Be Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 33 Photos
- Morondava Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 176 Photos
- Nosy Mangabe Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Manakara Hotels
- 1 Review - 6 Photos
- Ifaty Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 31 Photos
- Betanty Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Antsirabe Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Anjajavy Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Andringitra Hotels
- 1 Review - 4 Photos
- Ampefy Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Ambohimanga Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 124 Photos
- Ambohidrabiby Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 41 Photos