"Once an important municipality...." Anderlecht by Norali
Anderlecht Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 22 photos
I have to admit that I've heard of this house some time ago (years) but was never eager to visit it.
It is not well known in Brussels, for it being off the main tourist tracks. Lately, I happened to read some text on the Reform, I decided to visit the area where Erasmus has lived for some months in 1521.
That day, I could only see this exterior and the relaxing gardens, being there close to the closing time. For it being in Brussels, I will make it sure to return there before heading home.
During that day, I could also see other nice, quiet places around. Very far from what I preconceived about Anderlecht.
From a religious point of view, Anderlecht used to be important as well -already in the Middle Age-, for it having been on the Saint- Jacques de Compostelle route.
It has this surprising Gothic Gollégiale Saints Pierre et Guidon. Some fun time browsing around.
Two quiet gardens in the yard of the "Erasmus house": a botanical patch and a philosophical garden.
The philosophical garden is home of those philosophical boats. Famous thoughts and maxima of the great philosopher were displayed in them. In latin, off course, that added a bit of intricacy, for me ie. However, it was all interesting and yes, you could take some time reflecting in the garden. Within such a quiet environment, you couldn't help but meditate. Where to stroll & bend over the "philosophical" boats.. to lose yourself admiring your face in the water.. and find answers to your questions...
Else, bring friends to experience the meditation areas or chill out on the benches because "Ubi Amici, Ibi Opes" : "Where there are friends, there is wealth."
The botanical patch is of another style... check the tips
**page is under slow construction**
- Pros:Off the beaten paths, an interesting discovery
- In a nutshell:A wrong reputation does not serve Anderlecht
Anderlecht has this particular beguinage that is attached to La Coll?giale. The first building was in 1252, for 8 women.... more travel advice
Some Picassos copies... or looklikes... or forgery. I didn't linger much time on those art (forgery) pieces... The... more travel advice
Norali's Related Pages
Anderlecht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once an important municipality...."
- "Anderlecht, community of the colourful people"
- "Bubbles - and more bubbles"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Anderlecht
- 8 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Anderlecht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anderlecht
Photos in AnderlechtSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues