"Brugge in my dreams" Brugge by Norali

Brugge Travel Guide: 2,795 reviews and 7,475 photos

Well, the title says it all. Nearly all. Whilst the pictures will mostly be the Brugge in my dreams, the words are my translations of reality in Brugge. Should I know everything about the Venice of North, I do certainly not pretend that... but I have my own reality there.

To begin with, let's talk about this daytrip in Nov. 2005. A Belgian trip amongst the ones I would enjoy before returning to my country. A trip done in Winter. A trip with friends. A trip that I had suspected to be only done with friends, that suspicion was rightly confirmed once in the walls of the city. Indeed, how could I visit Brugge alone ? Too much untamed beauty is too much to handle for one person. Let's share that. Was I impressed about the city? Off course I was and I had always been since my previous escapades in the mid-90s. Would I return there ? Well, for who knows me from the Brugge/ Belgium travel forum, this trip to Brugge should sound surprising ;-) *Understatement*. [Brugge bashing ? what is that ? me ? uuh ? No bashing ever committed in forums, only expression of opinions whenever asked]. Now, you talk about returning there... well, I'd say "Why not ?" but again, "Not alone". Whilst it is absolutely imaginable, for me, to visit Antwerp, Leuven, Mons, Gent (would love to return there, by the way) en solo, cities such as Brugge would leave me lost in her arteries. I can read, fold, tear a map.. but this crowd, how would I handle this crowd ? Antwerp is noisy, Brussels even more, Gent serene.. but Brugge, crowded but - paradoxically- not that noisy... So yes, during this wet and cold day of wintery November, it was crowded. Why were we so many there ? Maybe the other tourists suspect it is not a city to visit alone ? They use to tour in groups: groups of schoolkids, elderly clusters, hoards of scouts, of women, boats of French tourists... and even a handful of VTers (!). Maybe we are all as impressed as I use to ?

Anyways, for many reasons, I chose Brugge as the city of my farewell meeting. I wanted to skip Brussels and Antwerp. First choice was my beloved Gent. But Gent could be mine alone for one day, three days, one week. Then, I thought of Brugge. An opportunity to pay a visit to the city I haven't seen for nine years. Oud Sint-Jan used to have a nice cultural center (and probably still uses). This escapade to Brugge differs from the past ones. They used to be dedicated to the culture at Oud Sint-Jan center, canals and the-smallest-window-of-the-world. Today, it was dedicated to buildings, soaking the silent ambient, the awesome walk at night (give me water, give me old-style buildings, give me the sound of falling water, give me the ad hoc lighting tearing the mist of this winter night), those laughters and mischieving with friends (even a frog would remember of me ~ he is in a metallic carapace though). Brugge in my dreams, indeed. All of that while walking in a city that used to be my "less-loved" one in Belgium, in the rain, in the cold but most of all with a smile, with friends.

So, if you ask me whether I like Brugge, I still don't have any answer. For one good reason, the few times I was there, I used to have some great fun, in a way or another. One thing is sure, however, friends make this experience special, the day went fast, the Kodak moments would appear as obvious as on almost every breath you take... so who would care if I loved the city or not ? I had a great fun.

*** Big Thanks to Myriam, Les Rahenis, Filip, Caroline, Gini, Gillian, Paul, Dannie Ze Organizer for the nice meeting and the two bottles and the book. Helga, thanks for signing the book par procuration ;-)

What bottles ? Which book ? That's our secret ;-)

Someone said I would be a Belgium Vendor in Madagascar. ;-) I have online pages to show around and a collection of great printed images and texts as for the locations I have not been to.

The great company even reconciled me with the Venice of the North that I used to ignore with passion for the last nine years. Is a lesser love an ignorance ? Can one ignore with passion ? Whatever... The two bottles are still alive. ***

• Pros:Beauty; Culture; I lost this past feeling of wandering in a city-museum.
  • Cons:Touristy
  • In a nutshell:You can still have your Brugge in your dreams
  • Last visit to Brugge: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 3, 2005

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 7:02 AM

An early Spring day in the Beguinage - perfect! leyle

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 3:16 AM

Hi again, ive had 3 trips i think to Bruge, one being a 'famed' procession which was excellent.All photos on SLR though so it nice to look at others visits and remiinisce!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 1:31 PM

I would agree Spring time in Brugge is the best = enjoyed your views on this lovely city

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2005 at 1:06 PM

I enjoyed reading about your day with VT friends in Brugge. I'll be back to read the rest.

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 7:13 AM

I'm sure there must be millions of that one. Millions must have been standing on the same tile at least once in their life.

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2005 at 3:44 AM

It was indeed a lovely day - a great gathering too Norali... I've always been less enthusiastic about Bruges than other Belgian towns, but I think I need to go back with my camera and a lot of time. Great market for wet-footed VTers too :-)

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 5:21 PM

Brugge is a charming little place. A wonderful tourist place that can be enjoyed in a day or more. Glad you got there (again?) before you go to the sun

• Goldenboy's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 7:41 AM

Nice to see you again, after all. VT Brussels missing you, i guess. So hows the pictures?

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2005 at 3:05 AM

Have a great time you all , enjoy Brugge and the icesculpting thing. ;-) I'll find your pictures afterwards here on vt I'm sure of that. frank.

• melissa_bel's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2005 at 6:20 AM

:o(... It really sucks!!! I can't come. I'll drop you a line though. Maybe we can meet before you leave.

Norali