Brussels Transportation Tips by Norali Top 5 Page for this destination
Brussels Transportation: 321 reviews and 297 photos
Gare centrale, Brussels
Gare centrale - Centraal station is my favourite as train station. It's easily accessable. I mean, right in the center (metro station: Gare centrale ).
From there, you can go everywhere in Belgium. If you are heading North, your trip will likely pass through North station. And through Midi station (South) if you are heading South (in most Wallonia parts, for instance).
A backdraw though: no High Speed Train (TGV-Eurostar-Thalys) will stop here. For that, you have North and South station.
Advantages: stepping down at Central means being close to the center. Grand-Place is not far, neither Mont des Arts area (incl. Parc Royal and Royal Palace).
It's safe... In summer, it's not unusual that tourists and locals alike still browse around at midnight. Hey! it's the center.
STIB - MIVB buses
This is my favorite transportation within Brussels. Jump and let yourself be carried here and there. Step out and the city is yours!
Bus, tram, metro are not free in Brussels. They are handled by STIB - MIVB.
Instead of buying a ticket for each time you use public transportation (each ticket being valid for one hour), buy a 10-journey card.
A One-day ticket also enables to use public transportation STIB as often as you want, in one day. A plus: on week-ends, 2 persons travelling together can use same One-day ticket.
1,40 euro for a 1-ride ticket (one hour valid); 6,50 euros for a 5-ride-card (each journey is one-hour valid); 9,80 euros for a 10-ride-card (each ride is one-hour valid) and 3,80 euros for a One-day ticket (valid for one day). Make your calculation according to your plan...
For people who intend to stay in Brussels for months, rather seek for monthly/ yearly subscriptions. Go to a commercial agency (Naamsepoort or Porte de Namur, for instance), get a hard plastified card from there and buy your monthly ticket every month. This is available for MIVB-STIB net. Price: 35 euro/month and 350 euro/ year for 25-60er.
For those who regularly use outside Brussels net, combination is possible with De Lijn net (for Flemish Brabant). Ask a commercial agent for particular cases as well (travel in group is cheaper as long as you stick together: some 6.50 euros are enough for 5 people travelling together during a day for instance).
Phone: 02 - 515.2000
More Reviews (144)
- See All Shoes, girls ! and bags ! and shoes! and...
- See All For a best Maghrebin treat
- See All It is all in the Baroque details
- See All There was Mojito, then Non-Alcohol...
- See All When you are at it, go browsing the fish...
- See All Manneke, Jeanneke, Zinneke: the Brussels...
- See All Brussels Card, especially for museum...
- See All Minimize the risk !
- See All This is Brussels: Manège d' Andrea for...
- Biking in Brussels streets
- Specific gear for rainy Brussels (and...
- Restaurants in Ilot sacre area
Norali's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 146 Reviews
- 250 Photos
- 231 Forum posts
- 108 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pan-Belgian meeting"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Crochet bag... for bag ladies"
- Commented on one of Norali's Brussels travel pages
- updated a Brussels Travel Page "More than a decade in Brussels"
- Wrote a Review Shoes, girls ! and bags ! and shoes! and bags ! in Brussels Shopping
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (70)
- Manneken Pis- 168 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Atomium- 122 Reviews, 195 Photos
- Grand Place - Grote Markt- 177 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Cathédrale St Michel & Gudule- 81 Reviews, 185 Photos
- Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert- 38 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Mini Europe- 45 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Palais Royal- 65 Reviews, 93 Photos
- Chinese & Japanese Towers- 18 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Eglise Notre Dame du Sablon- 39 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Musical Instrument Museum - Musée des Instruments de Musique- 36 Reviews, 81 Photos
See All Brussels Things to Do