Brussels Tourist Trap Tips by Norali Top 5 Page for this destination
Brussels Tourist Traps: 113 reviews and 85 photos
Beware!! Nice stalls for pricey low quality food!
Near Galeries de la Reine and Galeries du Roi, you will find a crowded street full of "seafood" restaurants with seafood stalls. The famous "(Petite) Rue des bouchers". Avoid them as food there is as not exceptional as its prices.
However, attractive layouts and stalls of seafood... Beware! For fresh seafood in Brussels, go to Place Ste-Catherine (also downtown)... Something to know, many of those restaurants share same underground dirty kitchens. They have problems with Hygiene Inspection (some rats were found in there). So, noone living in Brussels would advise you going there, so wouldnt I.
Unique Suggestions: If you really want to have this experience, Aux armes de Bruxelles (local cuisine) and Karim restaurants (for Maghreb tasty dishes) are exceptions to my warning!!
Pricey but quality food!!
Fun Alternatives: For alternatives, see my other Restaurant tips. Or go to local Chinatown for low price Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian standards... (Quartier de la Bourse). Convenient location.
OR, for cheap food near Grand-Place, go to "Pitta street" (rue du March? aux Fromages), just around the corner of Grand-Place. It's about Gyros pitta and variations on it. With fries (frites). Not top quality food at all but you could eat for 5 euros there (pitta + fries + soda/water). If you want, you could even order your meal and eat outside where is sunny (Grand-Place or Rue March? aux herbes). Strange enough, this street attracts locals as well (esp. students).
Anyways, for me, both Cheap Asian in Chinatown and Pittastreet (especially) restaurants serve as last resorts (open late and dead cheap). !!!!
For fresh seafood, rather go to Place Ste- Catherine.
More Reviews (145)
- See All Shoes, girls ! and bags ! and shoes! and...
- See All For a best Maghrebin treat
- See All It is all in the Baroque details
- See All There was Mojito, then Non-Alcohol...
- See All When you are at it, go browsing the fish...
- See All Manneke, Jeanneke, Zinneke: the Brussels...
- See All Brussels Card, especially for museum...
- See All Minimize the risk !
- See All Centrally located one
- See All This is Brussels: Manège d' Andrea for...
- Biking in Brussels streets
- Specific gear for rainy Brussels (and...
Norali's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 146 Reviews
- 250 Photos
- 231 Forum posts
- 108 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
- updated a Brussels Travelogue "Pan-Belgian meeting: The hectic Brussels meeting"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Crochet bag... for bag ladies"
- Commented on one of Norali's Brussels travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "De skieven architek"
- Wrote a Review Shoes, girls ! and bags ! and shoes! and bags ! in Brussels Shopping
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (70)
- Atomium- 137 Reviews, 220 Photos
- Grand Place - Grote Markt- 212 Reviews, 367 Photos
- Manneken Pis- 170 Reviews, 234 Photos
- Cathédrale of St. Michael and St. Gudula- 79 Reviews, 175 Photos
- Mini Europe- 39 Reviews, 55 Photos
- Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert- 40 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Guild Houses- 36 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Hôtel de Ville de Bruxelles- 62 Reviews, 121 Photos
- Palais de Justice Bruxelles- 44 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Parc du Cinquantenaire - Parc Jubel- 55 Reviews, 77 Photos
See All Brussels Things to Do