"July 21 in Ghent: exotic!" Top 5 Page for this destination Gent by Norali

Gent Travel Guide: 1,437 reviews and 3,727 photos

I only had two days in Ghent in my poor life. LOL Yet, it is not far from Brussels, where I live, and it has a lot to offer. To be accurate, two days in Ghent center and one afternoon cycling in Greater Ghent, a great experience.

My first visit was guided by a local who was not that interested in cultural stuffs, more like his place, some food in a pankoeken snack. Not bad.

Yet, my second visit, July 2003, is more of my taste. Culture, discovery, beauty ... those are words that would depict the tour Dannie planned for me. Yep, she again! Therefore, you may expect something comprehensive here.

The afternoon and the evening were of different style. Fun, music, mojitos, crowd, mini-meeting... We were celebrating Belgian Independence day, July 21 by assisting the Gentse Feesten. Some off beat track stuffs made it unusual as a July 21st celebration.

More about and history of the Gentse Feesten: http://www.gentsefeesten.be/english/index.htm

Statues.. sculptures

Was it a coincidence?

Apart from the beauty of this city with a past, I noticed in Ghent, more than anywhere else in Belgium, many sculptures... Not only could I admire the sculptures of local "personnages", I also saw many huge artworks, from diverse subjects, several styles, in many spots of the city. Some were weird, ones monumental, others detailed...

May I call it the statue city?

This one is near Stadpark and in front of the Fine arts museum. Look at my travelogue on sculptures to see some of those I could spot.

Sint Peter abbey

I would say that this is certainly something NOT to miss in Ghent. I saw monuments, nice places, statues but the Sint- Pieters abbey has it all, for me!

A real piece of haven of peace.

Look at my travelogue to see more pictures of this abbey...

Also, I found some ways to experience cheap Ghent. Check the tips (all categories) to see possibilities to make your experience fun and cheaper than you think.

• Pros:Beautiful classical city, statues and sculptures, less touristy than "picturesque" Brugges
  • In a nutshell:Something I like, worth the visit. Don't forget the museums crossing over till end 2006 (see my must-see activity tip)
  • Last visit to Gent: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2004

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM

time flies, but you vivid descriptions are fresh as the kiwi ;-)))

• lorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2005 at 10:36 AM

Thank you for sharing, I loved it Gent when I was there. Brussels, Brugge, and finally in Gent a couple days. I LOVED Belgium and hope to get back sometime soon. Visit my pages. Beautiful country and very nice people! Lori in Seattle

• Nov 13, 2005 at 12:25 AM

Gosh, Gent really does look like a nice place to visit. Thank you for sharing.....from Cape Town.

• hundwalder's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 9:40 AM

Excellent tips and photos of Ghent. They make me want to return for a longer visit.

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2004 at 2:13 AM

Who is Ibrahim..any answer yet? I also wish to know. I saw Rudy, but who is Danny? - lots of questions. Nicely put together Nora, beautiful pages. Regards.

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2004 at 9:05 AM

I love it when I get to discover someplace new.. didn't know a thing about Gent before your pages! Some of the sculptures are amazing, great pics Norali. So long...

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 1:32 PM

we where in Gent during the Gentse feesten 2004, but we avoid the crowed by going to Brugge that day :-)

• Joeplaboem's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2004 at 5:39 AM

The man in front of the Minard Schouwburg is Romain Deconinck. He was one of the most famous theatre players in Gent dialect

• Goldenboy's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 3:15 PM

ohhh hard rockers, ehhh sorry, hard workers. but said ur not that choosy, but seems still so hard to get. i wann try to look for myself too then, so that i know hows your struggle ... go norali gooooo...

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2004 at 9:09 AM

Exellent photos. I want to go there too!!!

Norali