"July 21 in Ghent: exotic!" Top 5 Page for this destination Gent by Norali
Gent Travel Guide: 1,472 reviews and 3,832 photos
I only had two days in Ghent in my poor life. LOL Yet, it is not far from Brussels, where I live, and it has a lot to offer. To be accurate, two days in Ghent center and one afternoon cycling in Greater Ghent, a great experience.
My first visit was guided by a local who was not that interested in cultural stuffs, more like his place, some food in a pankoeken snack. Not bad.
Yet, my second visit, July 2003, is more of my taste. Culture, discovery, beauty ... those are words that would depict the tour Dannie planned for me. Yep, she again! Therefore, you may expect something comprehensive here.
The afternoon and the evening were of different style. Fun, music, mojitos, crowd, mini-meeting... We were celebrating Belgian Independence day, July 21 by assisting the Gentse Feesten. Some off beat track stuffs made it unusual as a July 21st celebration.
More about and history of the Gentse Feesten: http://www.gentsefeesten.be/english/index.htm
Was it a coincidence?
Apart from the beauty of this city with a past, I noticed in Ghent, more than anywhere else in Belgium, many sculptures... Not only could I admire the sculptures of local "personnages", I also saw many huge artworks, from diverse subjects, several styles, in many spots of the city. Some were weird, ones monumental, others detailed...
May I call it the statue city?
This one is near Stadpark and in front of the Fine arts museum. Look at my travelogue on sculptures to see some of those I could spot.
I would say that this is certainly something NOT to miss in Ghent. I saw monuments, nice places, statues but the Sint- Pieters abbey has it all, for me!
A real piece of haven of peace.
Look at my travelogue to see more pictures of this abbey...
Also, I found some ways to experience cheap Ghent. Check the tips (all categories) to see possibilities to make your experience fun and cheaper than you think.
- Pros:Beautiful classical city, statues and sculptures, less touristy than "picturesque" Brugges
- In a nutshell:Something I like, worth the visit. Don't forget the museums crossing over till end 2006 (see my must-see activity tip)
Somewhere where to sit when you have a very urgent need. Very often, public toilets are not that clean. I tried the ones... more travel advice
Pay attention when you walk, the quays don't have any rope nor fence to prevent you from falling in water. Locals use... more travel advice
- See All Met the blue crew in Ghent
- See All Canoeing in Lys river?
- See All Cheap and healthy in Ghent
- See All My first nightlife tip in Ghent
- Cheap accomodation in Ghent
Norali's Related Pages
Gent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ghent - my hometown"
- "July 21 in Ghent: exotic!"
- "Gent – Flemish city of three towers"
- "Simply Put: A Fabulous City"
- "Gent - Go There - Drink Beer"
- "A love affair begins...."
- "Ghent: The rebellious city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gent
- Hotels in Gent
- Transportation in Gent
- Nightlife in Gent
- Restaurants in Gent
- Shopping in Gent
- Warnings and Dangers in Gent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gent
- 45 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Gent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gent
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Crochet bag... for bag ladies"
- Commented on one of Joeplaboem's Gent travel pages
- updated a Gent Travelogue "Statues and sculptures in Sculpture city"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Statues and sculptures in Sculpture city"
- Wrote a Review You may need this... :) in Gent Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues