"Stella Artois city, inhabited by Students**" Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven by Norali
Leuven Travel Guide: 479 reviews and 1,031 photos
Where to start? It was a nice cold day, planned for Suri, our Indian VT friend who was touring Belgium for some days, for the second time. Same as during his last visit, some of the Belgian Vters met him for some days through Antwerp, Brugge and Leuven.
I joined the last day of the tour. We were four to visit this city of Leuven:
a city where to study...
Gini, Dannie, Suri and Norali (hmm.. it rhymes) had some visit of the University Library. This is not your average University Library, it has some moving history. Take time to visit it if you can advise them well ahead. Jan, our guide was interesting, passionate about his Library. He would be glad to explain about Belgium history that had an impact on the fate of the University and its Library.
He speaks a good English, that can really help if you don't speak either Dutch either French. :)
The University itself has an important history behind. Played a keyrole in the Low Countries of (and from) XV century. Also played (and still plays) a key role in the big picture of Belgium' s education system.
To review this title, first check the General tips, then the Must-see activity tips.
We visited the City hall too, with a voluble guide. Thanks for the person who offered me the guided tour. First time I really visited a City hall, the different premices... A brilliant idea made us stage a wedding ceremony in the Wedding room. Look who is taking the picture. She instilled this fun idea.
Me and my husband of the day :)
Still cracks me up. Suri seems serene whilst me... well.. can I say that I had the attitude that suits the event?
In fact, it was hilarious. The Lady from Antwerp who celebrated our .. errr... *union*... forgot something that is usual there. In this Wedding room of the City Hall, she must have told that our marriage had to last, at least, 5 years..
Plus, Suri seems to wear the wedding suit well. As for me, a bad hair day, a dark outfit... Well, it was a strange wedding ceremony despite the beauty and majesty of the premices.
Suri was ready, not me. :) By the way, would it have lasted 5 years? The future would have told... ROTF. Oh well! I know that we would have had Duvel in common, at least. Wouldn't we, Suri?
Yes, we had some outdoor activities too. Kidding? Walking in the cold, joking around, listening to guides, window shopping. Yayyy! this weakness for jewelry would trap me one day :)
You will see in this page what I saw inside the buildings, outside in the cold.. and you will read about what I remembered and lately discovered.
Oh well, living the student life there lies in the possibility to enter any pub in Oude Markt area as well as electing residence in the quiet Beginhof area. Hmmm.. I would have liked that.
++ As quite usual in my Belgian pages, pics are from others' cameras. :))) ++
- Pros:Student life, history, beguinage
- Cons:When I was there, the works spoilt the view a bit but hey, I hadn't announced my visit so authorities were a bit surprised :)
- In a nutshell:Not your average student city
From Leuven being a University city, you can expect cheap eateries there... On our visit, we found a snack where to... more travel advice
rainy weather gear: rather a water-repellent hat than an umbrella. That leaves your hand for shapshoting. telelens:... more travel advice
- Parking places
- See All Students protectors and friends
- See All OTBP by VT standards... but a real one
Norali's Related Pages
Leuven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leuven / Louvain"
- "Stella Artois city, inhabited by Students**"
- "Leuven, the University City of Belgium"
- "Leuven, city of students and VT meetings `-)"
- "Leuven and its beautiful architecture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leuven
- Hotels in Leuven
- Transportation in Leuven
- Nightlife in Leuven
- Restaurants in Leuven
- Shopping in Leuven
- Warnings and Dangers in Leuven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leuven
- 35 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Leuven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leuven
- updated a Leuven Travel Page "Stella Artois city, inhabited by Students**"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Crochet bag... for bag ladies"
- Commented on one of cadzand's Leuven travel pages
- Wrote a Review Wholegrain bread was it .. but watch out the bill in Leuven Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wholegrain bread was it .. but watch out the bill"
Photos in LeuvenSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues