"Stella Artois city, inhabited by Students**" Top 5 Page for this destination Leuven by Norali

Leuven Travel Guide: 477 reviews and 1,030 photos

**Not only ! Go there to review this!

Where to start? It was a nice cold day, planned for Suri, our Indian VT friend who was touring Belgium for some days, for the second time. Same as during his last visit, some of the Belgian Vters met him for some days through Antwerp, Brugge and Leuven.

I joined the last day of the tour. We were four to visit this city of Leuven:

a city where to study...

Gini, Dannie, Suri and Norali (hmm.. it rhymes) had some visit of the University Library. This is not your average University Library, it has some moving history. Take time to visit it if you can advise them well ahead. Jan, our guide was interesting, passionate about his Library. He would be glad to explain about Belgium history that had an impact on the fate of the University and its Library.

He speaks a good English, that can really help if you don't speak either Dutch either French. :)

The University itself has an important history behind. Played a keyrole in the Low Countries of (and from) XV century. Also played (and still plays) a key role in the big picture of Belgium' s education system.

To review this title, first check the General tips, then the Must-see activity tips.

to have a wedding ceremony...

We visited the City hall too, with a voluble guide. Thanks for the person who offered me the guided tour. First time I really visited a City hall, the different premices... A brilliant idea made us stage a wedding ceremony in the Wedding room. Look who is taking the picture. She instilled this fun idea.

Me and my husband of the day :)

Still cracks me up. Suri seems serene whilst me... well.. can I say that I had the attitude that suits the event?

In fact, it was hilarious. The Lady from Antwerp who celebrated our .. errr... *union*... forgot something that is usual there. In this Wedding room of the City Hall, she must have told that our marriage had to last, at least, 5 years..

Plus, Suri seems to wear the wedding suit well. As for me, a bad hair day, a dark outfit... Well, it was a strange wedding ceremony despite the beauty and majesty of the premices.

Suri was ready, not me. :) By the way, would it have lasted 5 years? The future would have told... ROTF. Oh well! I know that we would have had Duvel in common, at least. Wouldn't we, Suri?

to live your student life, and more

Yes, we had some outdoor activities too. Kidding? Walking in the cold, joking around, listening to guides, window shopping. Yayyy! this weakness for jewelry would trap me one day :)

You will see in this page what I saw inside the buildings, outside in the cold.. and you will read about what I remembered and lately discovered.

Oh well, living the student life there lies in the possibility to enter any pub in Oude Markt area as well as electing residence in the quiet Beginhof area. Hmmm.. I would have liked that.

++ As quite usual in my Belgian pages, pics are from others' cameras. :))) ++

• Pros:Student life, history, beguinage
  • Cons:When I was there, the works spoilt the view a bit but hey, I hadn't announced my visit so authorities were a bit surprised :)
  • In a nutshell:Not your average student city
  • Last visit to Leuven: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2004

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM

That parking fine is not as hefty as it would be in The Netherlands! Thanks for your Leuven impression. I'll be visiting next week.

• Museeuw's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2007 at 4:13 AM

I know the feeling. Cheese and Belgian beer are what I missed most when I was in China. If you want to I can always send some cheese to you, but I don't know if it will still be edible after a rough airplane trip. :-)

• Aug 15, 2004 at 6:10 AM

Interesting night tip. I hope you can realize your dream to improve the education system in Madagascar. Keep pursuing the noble aspiration. If there is a will, there is a way ;-) Fret not. And "Just Do It!"

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2004 at 5:35 AM

;-))

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2004 at 12:28 PM

Dis some reading here , ran out of time. I still don't like Leuven. Is that ok? lol. I will build a page on Boortmeerbeek in the futur. The hollywood of Belgium and the real capital of Vlaams-Brabant. ;-) (very nice page floralie)

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2004 at 1:49 PM

What a page ! Well done. Oh yes, keep an eye on where you park your car. I've got a 25 euro fine. Leuven's policemen - mine was a woman :-(( are very busy.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 1:30 PM

We went to Louvain Uni fm Brussels, to hear good authors read and talk. Very fond memory. Interesting reflection on your page :-)

• chicabonita's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2004 at 6:31 AM

great page well done! - Hello Mrs Suri :-)) yes, you both are cute!

• OlafS's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 10:57 AM

That's the post-office. (Rather rebuilt than renovated)

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2004 at 1:17 PM

Looks nice. you really make me excited about visiting in '05! Thanks for sharing!! -- Greg

Norali