"Charming Mons" Mons by Norali
Mons Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 416 photos
Under construction !
Mons is a city in South of Belgium. I know Mons from having lived there for months during the last part of my studies. Like most of Belgium cities, its center is built around a Grand-Place (square place with guild houses, stonebricks pavement, it seems)... a legacy from Roman epoch. Belgian city halls (H?tels de ville) use to be on a Grand-Place, so does Mons'. Personnally, I like those Grand-Places as buildings around them have always kept original style and architecture.
1- Mons' Grand-Place comprehends theater, caf?s, restaurants. To visit Mons: park a car at the entry of the city and enjoy walking through the city or let those little buses carry you in the urban area for free.
2- Within a stone's throw of the Grand-Place: Place du March? aux Herbes that used to host herb market. It currently hosts student caf?s with concerts at night. Also some trendy boutiques for clothing.
3- Other place to visit: Le Beffroi (balfry), secular building with a tour and bells. From the Beffroi, you can have a nice view of the city and surroundings. Interesting: a kind of museum to know about Beffroi and Mons history.
4- Enjoy the view of La Coll?giale de la Sainte-Waudru, a cathedral with an elegant gothic style. With the Beffroi, it symbolizes Mons: a christian (cathedrale epitomizes this aspect) and laic city (Beffroi was built to balance the power of church in the city). Picture is taken from its website. www.waudru.be
5- Also near GrandPlace, the Monkey. There is a belief that wishes would come true after having caressed the monkey statue.
More pictures of Mons will come soon!
Mons hosts many fairs and festivals throughout the year but:
1- If you visit Mons on June 21, the streets of Mons, Grand-Place and many spots in the city live with Music Festival pace (For instance, les Casemates). Starry nights. I kept a good souvenir of this festival. The fact that it occurs in June makes it a nice intro to Summer festivals.
2-Another pittoresque festival: Le Doudou, that holds on June as well. A festival that takes 10 days, with a march through the city and a battle with a dragon.. On the last day, Mons celebrates the victory on Evil... Really worthseeing but got to read to understand this secular celebration. (cf. my tips for contacts..)
- Pros:Lively thanks, to students life (many univ & schools)
- In a nutshell:Charming, pittoresque with stonebricks pavement
When I first hit K.Fee in 2000, it just opened. Friends brought me there after an Opera evening. I was still in my Opera... more travel advice
I am not the church-type of person. Visiting a church is not amongst top priorities of mine while visiting citites. This... more travel advice
Norali's Related Pages
Mons Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enjoy to stroll around"
- "Mons and the Doudou"
- "Mons, a medieval town with strong traditions!"
- "A Microcosm Of Larger European Cities"
- "MON'S - WELL WORTH A STOP!"
- "MONS (Bergen in Dutch)"
- "Mons, the heart of my student life ;-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mons
- Hotels in Mons
- Transportation in Mons
- Nightlife in Mons
- Restaurants in Mons
- Shopping in Mons
- Warnings and Dangers in Mons
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mons
- 23 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Mons?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mons
Photos in MonsSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues