"Woluwé-Saint-Pierre, my homeplace till Dec 23 2005" Woluwé-Saint-Pierre by Norali
Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 56 photos
My favourite spot here is bucolic Park of Woluwé. Most of images in my WSP pages are from there since I love this park so much. For more pictures of it, see my below Parc de Woluwé...
This is one I particularly love... Combination of romantism (pink flowers), power and solidity (stone)... Humour and originality are part of it as well since those solid "rocks" seem to lean though don't fall...
Doesn' it remind you a description of a woman's ideal "something"? Yeah, it seems *LOL*
I use to say that I live in Brussels. That is true but my commune (municipality) is Woluwé- Saint- Pierre, one of 19 municipalities that counts Region de Bruxelles- Capitale. In fact, I live in greater Brussels.
Woluwé-Saint-Pierre is easily accessible from Brussels center. Metro (tub), busses and trams use to carry everyday thousands of people from WSP to Brussels and vice-versa. When I worked in Brussels center area, it took me 15 minutes (connection included) of STIB tranportation to reach center area.
I enjoy the calm, the safety, the cleanliness (??) of this area. And yes, my rent is higher compared to a similar apartment in St-Josse or Molenbeek but I enjoy walking out at 11pm from Montgomery to my apartment *in peace* & *in one piece* ;-) Comparatively, I read somewhere that richer municipalities don't charge their inhabitants much in tax. Higher rent, lesser tax, safety, clean place: Super deal.
See this picture ?
It is part of the ancient railroad that used to liaise Stockel area (still in WSP) to Watermael-Boitsfort (another municipality). King Léopold II had it fit, among others, late 19th century for Belgium to host the 1897 edition of the Universal Exhibition. Whether I know him personally ? No, I am not that old. He is known as the Great Belgian King (some say megalomaniac). For me, the Jubelpark, the Avenue de Tervuerenlaan, the Tervueren domain (including the Palace turned into a museum dedicated to Africa), this Woluwé park so dear to me (I'll miss it back to Madagascar), the first trams running on the great avenue, this train liaising Stockel area and Watermael (and beyond).. all of that is grand. Maybe because I use to enjoy in one way or another most of those facilities, I see a Great King. Well, the King had done much more than that to deserve this status, of course. He was known as a "Roi Batisseur" who initiated many large Belgian projects, not only as a "batisseur" but also as a politician, a traveller. Another aspect, he officialised the equal use of both French and Flemish as national languages. And... this may concern you, dear visitors, if you can easily visit Belgian cities by hopping from a city to another thanks to this dense rail network, Belgium owes it to him (his vision, his energy & impulse, sometimes, his fortune). Oh! he used to own Congo (rdc) too, then donated it to Belgium... Long and complex history. OK, you'd better read a book on him.
**Be sure to come back, there are other things to see in my commune but as stated above, page is ... UNDER CONSTRUCTION**
- Pros:Calm, relaxing, clean, green area, great shopping
- Cons:... too still if that matters!
- In a nutshell:A nice place to live, not so far from center, yet green
If I were asked to only have one piece to buy from Goosens, it would be their clafoutis. Their clafoutis was my latest... more travel advice
It took me a visit to another municipality - Anderlecht-, and to know that it had already existed since anno 1000 to see... more travel advice
- See All Should have been my best bet in the...
- See All Musée du Tram Bruxellois
- The leaning tree in Woluw?-Saint-Pierre...
- A one-stop shopping at Place Dumon
Written May 26, 2003
Parc de (la) Woluwe
Written May 9, 2016
Colourful trees in Woluwé park ~ Dec. 2005
Norali's Related Pages
Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Woluwé-Saint-Pierre, my homeplace till Dec 23 2005"
- Create a Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Travel Page
- Things to Do in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre
- Transportation in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre
- Restaurants in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre
- Shopping in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre
- Warnings and Dangers in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre
- 25 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Woluwé-Saint-Pierre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre
- updated a Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Travelogue "Colourful trees in Woluwé park ~ Dec. 2005"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Crochet bag... for bag ladies"
- Wrote a Review If only allowed to have one piece: their clafoutis in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "If only allowed to have one piece: their clafoutis"
Photos in Woluwé-Saint-PierreSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues