"Woluwé-Saint-Pierre, my homeplace till Dec 23 2005" Woluwé-Saint-Pierre by Norali

Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 56 photos

A quiet and green place

My favourite spot here is bucolic Park of Woluwé. Most of images in my WSP pages are from there since I love this park so much. For more pictures of it, see my below Parc de Woluwé...

This is one I particularly love... Combination of romantism (pink flowers), power and solidity (stone)... Humour and originality are part of it as well since those solid "rocks" seem to lean though don't fall...

Doesn' it remind you a description of a woman's ideal "something"? Yeah, it seems *LOL*

Brussels or not Brussels?

I use to say that I live in Brussels. That is true but my commune (municipality) is Woluwé- Saint- Pierre, one of 19 municipalities that counts Region de Bruxelles- Capitale. In fact, I live in greater Brussels.

Woluwé-Saint-Pierre is easily accessible from Brussels center. Metro (tub), busses and trams use to carry everyday thousands of people from WSP to Brussels and vice-versa. When I worked in Brussels center area, it took me 15 minutes (connection included) of STIB tranportation to reach center area.

I enjoy the calm, the safety, the cleanliness (??) of this area. And yes, my rent is higher compared to a similar apartment in St-Josse or Molenbeek but I enjoy walking out at 11pm from Montgomery to my apartment *in peace* & *in one piece* ;-) Comparatively, I read somewhere that richer municipalities don't charge their inhabitants much in tax. Higher rent, lesser tax, safety, clean place: Super deal.

Under construction

See this picture ?
It is part of the ancient railroad that used to liaise Stockel area (still in WSP) to Watermael-Boitsfort (another municipality). King Léopold II had it fit, among others, late 19th century for Belgium to host the 1897 edition of the Universal Exhibition. Whether I know him personally ? No, I am not that old. He is known as the Great Belgian King (some say megalomaniac). For me, the Jubelpark, the Avenue de Tervuerenlaan, the Tervueren domain (including the Palace turned into a museum dedicated to Africa), this Woluwé park so dear to me (I'll miss it back to Madagascar), the first trams running on the great avenue, this train liaising Stockel area and Watermael (and beyond).. all of that is grand. Maybe because I use to enjoy in one way or another most of those facilities, I see a Great King. Well, the King had done much more than that to deserve this status, of course. He was known as a "Roi Batisseur" who initiated many large Belgian projects, not only as a "batisseur" but also as a politician, a traveller. Another aspect, he officialised the equal use of both French and Flemish as national languages. And... this may concern you, dear visitors, if you can easily visit Belgian cities by hopping from a city to another thanks to this dense rail network, Belgium owes it to him (his vision, his energy & impulse, sometimes, his fortune). Oh! he used to own Congo (rdc) too, then donated it to Belgium... Long and complex history. OK, you'd better read a book on him.

**Be sure to come back, there are other things to see in my commune but as stated above, page is ... UNDER CONSTRUCTION**

• Pros:Calm, relaxing, clean, green area, great shopping
  • Cons:... too still if that matters!
  • In a nutshell:A nice place to live, not so far from center, yet green
  • Last visit to Woluwé-Saint-Pierre: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 5, 2005

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 10:32 PM

great page on your former hometown Norali. Brussels was one of my faves in europe.

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2005 at 3:02 AM

Looking for those new Easyshare pics. Where do you hide them ? O! just found them. Trees and bottles just try to keep memories alive.

• myriam_c's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2005 at 12:49 AM

Isn't it great that nature gives you such a lovely goodbye present before you go back to hot and sunny Mada? I think you can still enjoy a bit, 'cause all the leaves did not yet fall (at least where I live).

• Knoto's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2005 at 1:25 PM

Looks like you live in an wonderful area...

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 12:35 PM

Toop your home town is certainly a green looking space. Great page.

• Alphons's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2005 at 12:48 PM

Very good page of your hometown, nice pics and info. greetings Alphons...

• Dec 19, 2004 at 4:52 AM

Great pages on your home town - loved the tips and photo's - you write beautifully :-) Merry Christmas from England :-)

• Aurora907's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2004 at 4:51 PM

You have very interesting travel pages. Quite informative...really enjoy the historical notes!

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2004 at 9:43 PM

very green and lovely-a delightful place to live I'm sure! Happy travels, Norali.

• Marie-Claude's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2004 at 2:16 PM

Are you organising a vt meeting in december so far?

Norali Used To Live Here!

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre

Have you been to Woluwé-Saint-Pierre?