"Isalo: an impressive park" Tangorombohitr' Isalo by Norali
Tangorombohitr' Isalo Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 89 photos
Well !! What would you find in this page ?
Some scientifical explanations about the fauna and flora of Isalo National Park. **Cough cough**, they rather be explanation but not scientifical, I guess :);
Some reflections on Madagascar social & economical situations through the fate of this amazing canyon, home of ancestors' spirit but spoilt by sapphire extraction. OK.. you don't care about my feelings. Right ! And I can recall that since VT is about travel. Still, in countries such as Madagascar, the fate of those interesting national parks are tightly linked to how decisionmakers deal with environmental issue. So far, national parks, esp. this one, have known a poor fate, with most of it fauna listed on endangered species.
Just go there and see the interesting faunas and floras of Isalo Canyon, have a path in the fresh rockpool water. After all, visitors are always welcome, more than ever especially regarding the situation. You are curious to find out why now? OK, read my General tips before the other categories and you'll know.
*** Though the destination is Tangorombohitr' Isalo (Isalo massif), what I would talk about here is about Isalo National Park, a State park that includes the Northern part of the massif. This is, so far, the most attractive feature of the area... aside Sapphire extraction business. ***
Mind your step, I am building SLOWLY this page. Figures are taken from this Malagasy website:
I am not that clever to guess about number of species there, the surface of the park... but I thought it fair, for you, to have me translating it in English, didn't I? ;-p
The massif, and then the Isalo NP (occupying the Northern part of the massif) is located in Fianarantsoa province. We reached it after some 280 km drive from Fianarantsoa.
It is located 700 km drive on Nationale 7 from Antananarivo (Tana), 683 km South- West of the capital more precisely... or 243 km North of Toliara.
65 minutes walking from Ranohira, where my favourite hotel, Relais de la Reine is.
When visiting this park, pay close attention to what ANGAP guides tell you. They will inform you about things not to be done, places you cannot access.
For instance, the rocks are places that contain mortal remains. In fact, in this particular region, people let the dead corpses in the rocks. So, the whole canyon is kind of sacred since it contains spirit of Malagasy ancestors.
By the way, the lemurs that you will find there, in the Valley of Lemurs, are considered as Malagasy ancestors. Looking them acting sometimes makes me feel weird. They just behave, pose like humans sometimes.
A bit of freshness at the end of your excursions: diving in this crystal rockpool water....
Apart from that, you will find some plants of weird shape there. Find the pics in my travelogues.
- Pros:Silence, isolation, the rockpool water
- In a nutshell:A place I would like to camp... in group with weirds plants, lemurs, unusual tombs
I haven't had any chance to camp within the park. Still, the nightlife tip that came to my mind was camping. And yes,... more travel advice
This is the tourist trap n?1 while visiting the parks in Madagascar. For one main reason, unless you are botanist /... more travel advice
Norali's Related Pages
Tangorombohitr' Isalo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Tangorombohitr' Isalo
- Hotels in Tangorombohitr' Isalo
- Nightlife in Tangorombohitr' Isalo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tangorombohitr' Isalo
- 36 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Tangorombohitr' Isalo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tangorombohitr' Isalo
Photos in Tangorombohitr' IsaloSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues