"Isalo: an impressive park" Tangorombohitr' Isalo by Norali

Tangorombohitr' Isalo Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 89 photos

Well !! What would you find in this page ?

Pics;

Some scientifical explanations about the fauna and flora of Isalo National Park. **Cough cough**, they rather be explanation but not scientifical, I guess :);

Some reflections on Madagascar social & economical situations through the fate of this amazing canyon, home of ancestors' spirit but spoilt by sapphire extraction. OK.. you don't care about my feelings. Right ! And I can recall that since VT is about travel. Still, in countries such as Madagascar, the fate of those interesting national parks are tightly linked to how decisionmakers deal with environmental issue. So far, national parks, esp. this one, have known a poor fate, with most of it fauna listed on endangered species.

Just go there and see the interesting faunas and floras of Isalo Canyon, have a path in the fresh rockpool water. After all, visitors are always welcome, more than ever especially regarding the situation. You are curious to find out why now? OK, read my General tips before the other categories and you'll know.

*** Though the destination is Tangorombohitr' Isalo (Isalo massif), what I would talk about here is about Isalo National Park, a State park that includes the Northern part of the massif. This is, so far, the most attractive feature of the area... aside Sapphire extraction business. ***

Mind your step, I am building SLOWLY this page. Figures are taken from this Malagasy website:

I am not that clever to guess about number of species there, the surface of the park... but I thought it fair, for you, to have me translating it in English, didn't I? ;-p

The massif, and then the Isalo NP (occupying the Northern part of the massif) is located in Fianarantsoa province. We reached it after some 280 km drive from Fianarantsoa.

It is located 700 km drive on Nationale 7 from Antananarivo (Tana), 683 km South- West of the capital more precisely... or 243 km North of Toliara.

65 minutes walking from Ranohira, where my favourite hotel, Relais de la Reine is.

Tombs in those rocks!

When visiting this park, pay close attention to what ANGAP guides tell you. They will inform you about things not to be done, places you cannot access.

For instance, the rocks are places that contain mortal remains. In fact, in this particular region, people let the dead corpses in the rocks. So, the whole canyon is kind of sacred since it contains spirit of Malagasy ancestors.

By the way, the lemurs that you will find there, in the Valley of Lemurs, are considered as Malagasy ancestors. Looking them acting sometimes makes me feel weird. They just behave, pose like humans sometimes.

La piscine naturelle. The rockpool water

A bit of freshness at the end of your excursions: diving in this crystal rockpool water....

Apart from that, you will find some plants of weird shape there. Find the pics in my travelogues.

• Pros:Silence, isolation, the rockpool water
  • Cons:Isolation
  • In a nutshell:A place I would like to camp... in group with weirds plants, lemurs, unusual tombs
  • Intro Updated Oct 15, 2004

• Oct 13, 2006 at 9:43 AM

Hello! 'just saw your Tangorombotir' tip.....and hiking! I could well do with that!:~)) Especially in those beautiful parts!:~))

• cokes's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 9:34 AM

The Rockpools looks so inviting hahaha Beautiful Landscape and Lemurs , they really cute. Nice one Norali

• desertgecko's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2005 at 12:35 PM

I enjoyed reading your page. I'd love to visit Madasgascar one day, just to see the geckos! The gecko you mentioned being the largest was Phelsuma gigas which is now extinct sadly :( It was believed to be around 24 inches in length!

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 5:41 AM

please tell us if commercial logging has affected forests in Mafagascar ? ;-|||

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2005 at 2:14 PM

Woo-Hoo!!! You got it! I'm so proud of myself .... I learned to send something via snail-mail! [says the internet junkie] tee-hee

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 5:11 AM

I had no idea where this place was - never even heard of it. Some really great tips - it must have been a wonderful trip! Good answer to my question too! Andy

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2004 at 2:18 AM

Yes, amazing is the word, great tips.

• zumodemango's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2004 at 1:58 PM

beautiful place! it's amazing!

• Travellingaiesecer's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2004 at 3:49 AM

Hey little rock pool queen, really a cool site. Whenever I come to Madagascar (and one day for sure) I will definitely go there :-) Holger

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2004 at 9:46 AM

Not very confortable for a King in those trees :-) Mmm! you've worked hard again.

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Tangorombohitr' Isalo

Have you been to Tangorombohitr' Isalo?

Latest Activity in Tangorombohitr' Isalo