"Farihy Itasy, the 3rd largest lake in Mada" Farihy Itasy by Norali
Farihy Itasy Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Just came back from a daytrip to Itasy area. A stunner! was such word to describe landscapes, areas, mountains.
Farihy Itasy or Lac Itasy (Itasy lake) gave its name to the whole surrounding volcanic area. The lake Itself is big. With 3500ha, reported to be the third largest in my island, it's beautifully edged by mountain ranges, swamps, pounds and ricefields.
Itasy lake itself owes its existence to the lava flows which had blocked the valley. Water flows, rains had, then, filled the basin to form a lake.
To experience the Farihy Itasy at fullest... many possibilities either indulge into some fishing activity, either stroll along the dirt paths looking onto the lake, the mountains, the islets.
You could hire services of a local fisherman to bring you to those. But then, be ready to climb, climb... either Ilôt de la Vierge ("Virgin Mary islet"), recognizable for its white base on which lies a VM statue dominating the lake... either head to Ilôt sacré (Sacred islet) where lies the tomb of a XVII cent. king. Another interest lies in the bat colony there...
Climbing Ilôt de la vierge by car was the obvious option for us. Still, I would find it cool to climb the islet by foot. Little time & rushed journey & blitz visits. The climb consisted of driving on a col that led to the top. The beauty, the majesty of the area unfolded before our eyes as we proceeded. Once on top, we enjoyed 360° views onto the area from that is to be considered as Itasy belvédère.
Else, you could indulge in many other activities except swimming (bilharzis risk).
Itasy area offers other activities to fill days. Itasy Star-product seems however to be those Liliha waterfalls.
Being from a volcanic origin, the area boasts other volcano-related sites of interest as well: the geysers in Amparaky (my fave of all sites in Itasy area!); volcano crater lakes (namely Andranotoroha).
Please check my Ampefy page to read about that day-roadtrip & the Itasy experience. Why Ampefy? you'd say. Because this village- with its hotels, inns, restaurants, bungalows- use to be a base for all who want to live the Itasy experience be it for one day, two days or more. Mine was a daytrip, a rushed one, for travelling with a 2.5 yo chap who has to be fed on due time. Too little time allotted to each activity. Will renew the Itasy experience... hopefully with the right travel companion, the one which agrees, at least, with me about timing. lol
But first, check my Ampefy page!
- In a nutshell:A perfect gateway for urban dwellers
Norali's Related Pages
Farihy Itasy Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Farihy Itasy
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Farihy Itasy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Farihy Itasy
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues