"Beauty, Architecture, History...Lazaina has it all" Lazaina by Norali

Lazaina Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 15 photos

How many pictures of this do I have ? Cannot count.
This village near my place is, for my taste, beautiful. At least, this spot that I use to admire endlessly every morning, afternoon, at sunset.... well, whenever I want I find it beautiful. All I have to do is either get out of my bedroom, and hang up at its terrace then look at my right. Either reach the orchard, head to its South-Eastern part and post myself there to look around.

If you are keen on learning about Merina architecture, I recommend a visit to this village. It has many traditional Merina houses, included the red-brick tall houses on the picture. Those have a more sophisticated style compared to the simple and very traditional square, narrow, chalk-painted and thatched-roofed mud houses.

Lazaina also has some history... for it being home of one of first Christian martyrs in Madagascar, she (yes, a SHE) was a Protestant believer. Mrs Ranivo (asa Ranivo Maritiora) has her tomb in Lazaina as well. I will develop this part of history....

The tomb is where also lies one of major Malagasy poets and writers, late Ny Havana Ramanantoanina (this I didn't know unless I browsed the net).

This poet had also its home in Lazaina. Both his and the home of an ancient royal army officer (Cdt. Rabeony, 19th century) will be soon refurbished.

On the intro picture, the officer's home is the tall one on the right... whilst this tall ochre-beige buildig on the left, I suspect it would be poet Ramanantoanina's.

Also, conservation would also apply on keeping those mud enclosure walls, proper to the Merina region as well. Those are elements of our cultural heritage concerning buildings, construction techniques. Well, to think, even the enclosure wall of our Summer Palace (located 5 km from my place and a bit less from Lazaina), which is made of clay and egg, was built thanks to another technique. As a result, it had been there since the 18th century... just clay and egg and some know-how...

Now about the many mud enclosure walls in Lazaina village, they don't contain eggs.

As a kid, I used to pass through a long long corridor made of these mud walls some four times a day. Those were the days commuting was still affordable.

Compared to this village history, my village of Malaza has nothing except being home of a fig tree, meaning that a Royal person used to have acquaintainces, and used to make frequent halt in the village. Well, another sign: Lazaina is in the Vt database whislt Malaza Avaradrano does not exist on here. Now I'm telling you ! This Lazaina deserves your visit if you are interested in local architecture.

• Pros:An interesting Merina village architecture, beautiful
  • Cons:-
  • In a nutshell:Architecture, construction techniques, a poet & a martyr's tomb, a home of a royal army commander... all about tradition & history
  • Last visit to Lazaina: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 25, 2006

• JACOBENDLESS's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Hello there, my greatest ancient ENEMY is SATAN. If one is aware about the SATAN philosophy: they own their lost PHILOSOPHER'S STONE. the ultimate war is to LOVE all but it is diffucult said the BAD MAN because HORROR is Horror

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Hi Norali! Thank you very much for your nice comment about Simon. I hope you started your year just as well :-) This here looks like a nice corner of Madagaskar .. kinda cruel history, though...

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Lazaina

Have you been to Lazaina?

Latest Activity in Lazaina