"ALIAS "FOULPOINTE"" Mahavelona by Norali

Mahavelona Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 16 photos

While adding a new destination on my map, Mrs Searchengine did not find Foulpointe. Finally, I made a search on Mahavelona (its Malagasy name) and could add this destination on my map. Though, "Foulpointe" is the most known of both.

My trips to Mahavelona used to be one-day trips for beach activities. Yet, there are other things to discover in Foulpointe.

Mahavelona (in North Toamasina, 59km) is interesting from a historical point of view as well, as the ruins of fortress erected by a Merina governor (under Radama I reign) are still there, as piece of evidence of a "belliquous" past. This was during a battle against French invaders.
Find there a forest with orchids and lemurs as well.

Sweet dreams are made of this too...

It may be naive but I noticed that even if the country is poor, poor people in provinces are more smiling than beggars in urban Tana, for instance.

Also, this picture taken in Mahavelona reminds me of a poster to advertise a Jamaican rhum brand. I used to collect the posters since they use to issue some of them during a campaign. When I saw this one in a pile of several pictures, it stroke me that I had to insert it somewhere.

• Pros:Beach activity, handy amenities
  • Cons:A bit too mercantile and crowded
  • In a nutshell:Nice beach but a bit too mercantile...
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2003

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2006 at 11:12 AM

Looks like a fab beach for a bit of relaxation in the sunshine! Madagascar has always been a spot that I would love to visit.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2005 at 7:28 AM

grilled seafood? will be very yummy, uh? :) speaking about phinisi in my makassar page, nope they not phoenicians' but buginese origin traditional boats since old-past centuries ... sailing far maybe to madagaskar!

• Nov 16, 2005 at 1:51 PM

looks gorgeous!

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2003 at 8:23 AM

Lovely page....mmm...I'd like to be there now :))

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2003 at 8:28 PM

Sometimes the less people have, the more they appreciate. I guess you have to be careful of some guides and their tours. Sharks and coral sounds quite hazardous for swimming. Good info page. The people sound wonderful.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2003 at 1:52 PM

Eating seafood and lazing on a nice beach, sounds like paradise...

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2003 at 4:02 PM

Wow, looks like a nice place!! Except for the sharks of course... ;)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2003 at 8:22 AM

I just loved this page Noro!! I could very easily live here. Those bungalows right on the beach......mmm paradise!!! Liked your local custom tip too.

• johanl's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2003 at 11:41 PM

keep adding some more pics and info. great start

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Mahavelona

Have you been to Mahavelona?

Latest Activity in Mahavelona