"La Rochelle, dépt. Charentes Maritime, I'll return" Top 5 Page for this destination La Rochelle by Norali
La Rochelle Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 208 photos
My La Rochelle page is finished !. On Dec. 14 2003, this is the first French page I finished. I thought Paris would have been the first but .. NO, LR is first... Very probably, Ile de Ré would be second.
When I think of la Rochelle, "charm" immediately comes to my mind. It's all about that.
The charm of La Rochelle by night, the charm of the towers, the ships, the buildings... L'Hôtel de ville included.
Shops are tiny but nicely set. Sheltered by the so-called arcades...
Museums... it's not every city that has the Musée du flacon à parfum... Musée du Nouveau Monde, Musée des Graffittis anciens. But La Rochelle has all of that, plus some other nice things.
My discovery of La Rochelle was interesting, joyful... I was guided by a friend, who works in the tourism industry, a real Rochelaise who knows and loves her region very well.
You may find this page huge, it's because I am learning about history of La Rochelle, hence the long tips cc history. Actually, they are summaries of texts I read about La Rochelle. Mind you! This page is to show what I saw and also to help me kepping up my documenting and learning about La Rochelle.
First European marina... Those yachts I've seen were impressive. They come from all over Europe.
While walking along the quay, I heard from an expansive guy talking behind me that those from UK and Sweden were the most impressive ....
Everything in the city reminds you of the sea. Wood lumber on facades, like on ancient ships... Lighthouses... Antiques and trinket shops... Many themes are related to sea, shipping.
And food! yes, food is **sea-ish**, off course!
Walk through La Rochelle and you would notice that: roughcast façades (en crépi)... like eaten by the seasalt and rendered flaky.
La Rochelle has many buildings from XV and XVIII centuries. The protestant city had known influences of peoples who tried to control access to the sea. At times in its history, it has been French then English then French then English again... catholic, protestant... Very independent and rebellous population, who resisted Royal authority. Eventually, it became French, after being under siege for months, hence a severe starvation .. It was in Richelieu era, 1628 October..
Above all, it used to be an area open for trade since La Rochelle had a port for trading activities.
Architecture... interesting... plain and flaky white walls, plastered with wood lumbers sometimes.. or with slate tiles. Middle Age architecture.
Some townhouses that belonged to rich and powerful families who traded spices, woods. Often, with some stone carvings on the façades.
Or colourful in Gabut area...
In fact, I just fell in love with the city. I remembered having told my cousin that La Rochelle would be my retirement place if I were rich. Still cracking up remembering that.
Believe me, I am too young to think of that. I've never looked for a retirement place but put it this way, this city has it all: elegance, quietness yet lively, clean and some identity you can't miss. Life may be expensive, especially for young locals, but one may find a quality of life over there. Still, I noticed some room for creativity, probably business dynamics. And not only in the port activities and shipping field.
- Pros:Elegance, architecture, good food, interesting antiques shops, safety
- Cons:One week is not enough to discover La Rochelle.
- In a nutshell:Classy but accessible town. A city with a rich past but already with its feet all in our millenium.
By road, from Brussels to LR Towns of the Atlantic region are served by the A10 motorway. It crosses the area from... more travel advice
Those are the ones who use to race in the area. When I was there, there has been some race the previous day, along with... more travel advice
- See All Decoration, antiques, gifts
- See All New Rochelle, New York State
- See All For perfume lovers...
- See All Clean city
Norali's Related Pages
La Rochelle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Rochelle, dépt. Charentes Maritime, I'll return"
- "La Rochelle"
- "Charente Maritime - La Rochell"
- "Ocean City"
- "Historical Port with Atlantic views"
- "La Rochelle-My first contact with Atlantic"
- "La Rochelle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Rochelle
- Hotels in La Rochelle
- Transportation in La Rochelle
- Nightlife in La Rochelle
- Restaurants in La Rochelle
- Shopping in La Rochelle
- Warnings and Dangers in La Rochelle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Rochelle
- 40 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to La Rochelle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Rochelle
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Crochet bag... for bag ladies"
- Commented on one of tobu's La Rochelle travel pages
- updated a La Rochelle Travel Page "La Rochelle, dépt. Charentes Maritime, I'll return"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Aquarium"
- Wrote a Review From Brussels to LR and from LR to Brussels in La Rochelle Transportation
Photos in La RochelleSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (71)
Latest La Rochelle hotel reviews
- Residhome Residence Les Minimes La Rochelle
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 20, 2012
- Best Western Masqhotel
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Hotel Les Brises
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Henri 4
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Auberge de Jeunesse
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2012
- Mercure La Rochelle Vieux Port Sud
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Ibis La Rochelle Centre
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 27, 2013