"The less known Bruxelles-Cap Region" Région de Bruxelles-Capitale by Norali
Région de Bruxelles-Capitale Travel Guide: 6,029 reviews and 13,226 photos
You are not aware of this but when you say "Brussels", you are probably referring to Brussels city or to Bruxelles-Capitale Region. Both are correct since the Region is so small that you are not even aware of that it comprehends 19 communes... and that the latter are worth a visit as well.
For instance, I use to say that I live in Brussels. That's true since my homeplace is Woluwé-Saint-Pierre, a commune in Region of Bruxelles-Capitale. Have a look at my hometown page!
Besides, actual configuration of the Region was defined in June 1989. On June 18, 1989, Brussels people elected their MPs so as to grant the region of same status as Wallonia and Flemish Regions.
19 communes in Bruxelles-Cap region are, in French and Flemish:
Anderlecht | Auderghem - Oudergem | Berchem-Ste-Agathe - St.-Agatha-Berchem | Bruxelles - Brussel | Etterbeek | Evere | Forest | Ganshoren | Ixelles - Elsene | Jette | Koekelberg | Molenbeek-Saint-Jean - Molenbeek-Sint-Jan | Saint-Gilles - Sint-Gillis | Saint-Josse-ten-Noode - Sint-Joost-ten-Node | Schaerbeek | Uccle - Ukkel | Watermael-Boitsfort - Watermaal-Bosvoorde | Woluwé-Saint-Lambert - Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe | Woluwé-Saint-Pierre - Sint-Pieters-Woluwe.
Official Languages: French and Dutch. You mainly hear French in the streets since 70-80% of Brussels population is "francophone" (French-speaking). Apart from that, you may hear at least Arab, African languages and languages of countries that are EU members... and off course, Dutch.
In winter: smell of waffles in Brussels center streets; hot chocolate in heated cafés; music in Rue des Tongres for / while Christmas shopping
In spring: cherry blossom and season opening as for terrasse sitting :-)
Season opening as for walks through forests and green areas.
It's the season I enjoy most to go to markets. Don't ask me why. I hate doing it in summer when it's crowded and sticky hot.
In my study years, hearing tennis rallies, from a tennis court near my house, while I studied for my June exams. Frustrating!
In summer: heat and very often rain accompanying sales month (july)... and evenings at Zizi and Aux délices de Capoue (ice-cream with Belgian speculoos). For that, see my Must-see activities tips in my Brussels page.
In autumn: frenzy atmosphere when people return from holidays. Shops are packed with scholars and their mums trying to buy scholar stuffs. One has to buy new autumn cloth as well. A bit of rain. Hot chocolate season starts.
Just to warn you: this page is mainly for travelogues that are more related to Bruxelles-Capitale region and not only to the Brussels commune. At the moment, I am thinking of posting here pictures of some events that cover the entire region. And think that this would be the only purpose of this page.
First, the cows...
- Pros:Good transportation means, multicultural, good food
- Cons:May seem messy for those who are not used to it..
- In a nutshell:19 communes that are worth discovering
When Jeanine and hubby, friends of mine, refurbished their house, space and style of elegant XIX century townhouses were... more travel advice
Near MIM (Music Instruments Museum) is the last cul-de-sac in Brussels. I haven't said it was the sexiest, but the... more travel advice
Norali's Related Pages
Région de Bruxelles-Capitale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A pleasant weekend trip"
- "The less known Bruxelles-Cap Region"
- "Bruxelles September 2008"
- "Comic Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Hotels in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Transportation in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Nightlife in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Restaurants in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Shopping in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- Warnings and Dangers in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
- 207 Reviews
- 452 Photos
- 243 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Région de Bruxelles-Capitale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Région de Bruxelles-Capitale
Photos in Région de Bruxelles-CapitaleSee All Photos (452)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Intro, 146 reviews, 210 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 109 reviews, 212 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo Intro, 71 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Intro, 75 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgium Intro, 71 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ambohimanga Intro, 35 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 67 reviews, 58 photos
- Malaza Intro, 43 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Faritanin' Antananarivo Intro, 28 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 45 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues