"Ile de Ré: heavenly :)" Île de Ré by Norali

Île de Ré Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 62 photos

I'll tell you what I saw,
I'll tell you what I did.

I'll tell you what I should have seen,
I'll tell you what I should have done.
I'll experience them next time I return.. because, I intend to return to l'ile de Ré.

Now, people on here use to tell about they know but I would rather insist on what I saw... for me only having been in Ile de Ré for one day.

Yep, one sole day but what a day. A great day made for walking along the beach, for soaking the atmosphere of the ruins site of an ancient abbey.

A day made for driving through the archipelago with landscapes that range from the pinewood forest, to beautiful beaches (yeah! I mean it), through Ré villages.

That was meant to satisfy my eyes... and also my ears.

A day made for visiting the salty marshes to learn about the life of sauniers rétais who developed the business of salt before well-known sel de Guérande overcame sel rétais.

A day made for visiting the oyster farms. I would have prefered though to have done it in another time of the year.

That was meant to satisfy my curiosity.

A day made for tasting the local products: mainly the salt products, this time.

Caramel au sel rétais, caramel à la pomme, caramel au pineau de Charentes...

Oysters were delicious too as well as fish kebab. Off course, you wouldn't miss soupe de poisson there... and pineau de Charentes.

That was meant to satisfy my weakness for good food.

ADVICE: Check General tips prior reading the other categories.

MORE INFO: http://www.iledere.com/

• Pros:Good food, nice beach, I love nature there: pinewood, salty marshes
  • Cons:not in summer!
  • In a nutshell:Perfect for relaxing, for a day, for a week, for a month... Up to you!
  • Last visit to Île de Ré: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2004

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 3:04 PM

Well rounded page about this location. I like the sound of the farm oysters and lemons, and the sweet toffees sound really nice. Great page!!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 5:38 AM

great tips!

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2004 at 4:43 AM

Lovely page, you seem to have similar feeling about the la Rochelle area, as I do about Bretagne. Isn't France Beautiful! Happy Travels (~_~)

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2004 at 11:13 AM

Excellent writing about this lovely island. Thanks for sharing.

• lichinga's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2004 at 9:49 AM

Lovely place to remember and your descriptions are so rich!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2004 at 1:16 AM

fantastic tips, almost bursting with great information ! really good page, thanks, I enjoyed it very much

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2004 at 3:45 PM

Unique tips. Not your "run of the mill" information. I like that. Enjoyed reading and viewing these pages. Your narratives are excellent.

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2003 at 10:32 AM

All that salt makes me thirsty... maybe a Pineau des Charentes. Could I still get on a bike then ? Looks like a tip for my new lfe :-))

• chicabonita's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2003 at 8:44 AM

can't believe that I'm the first one here :-)

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Île de Ré

Have you been to Île de Ré?

Latest Activity in Île de Ré