"Pueblo Blanco" Top 5 Page for this destination Mijas by iris2002
Mijas Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 596 photos
At an altitude of 425 metres above sea level, (huff, puff) ............ amongst pine forests and lush vegetation on the side of the Sierra de Mijas, Mijas offers superb views over Fuengirola and the Costa del Sol.
The area is a favourite with artists and the narrow streets are filled with ceramic shops and artisan crafts. And and "English Bar" of of course.
It is believed that Mijas was founded by the Turetanos, of the mysterious Tartessian Civilisation.
The Romans developed a fortress on the site, which was conquered by the Moors in the 8th Century. In 1487 the town was taken by the Christian army and used as military headquarters during the years following.
It is rumoured (whisper, whisper, whisper) that underneath the Inglesia Parroquial de la Inmaculada Concepcion run tunnels where the villagers hid from Franco's army.
And I have done my best to find them without success I might say.
The villagers are a laid back folks and almost everybody speaks a bit of english.... it is busy all year round with tourbuses (mostly retired people) and to be frank, I found it was a bit too touristy (even now in the pre-season)... the english seem to have taken over here (which is a pro and a con)... as you do get a real fry-up in most places for breakfast... IF you are into that kinda thing :)
A bit further down the road is a hotel I can highly reccommend: Puerto del Sol, just about half way to Fuengirola.
And if you are not too tired from all that steep climbing, then check out the little villages dotted in the Sierra Mijas.
- Pros:Great views & food
- Cons:Every second person seems to be over 60
- In a nutshell:Great location - make it a base to explore the rest of the costa del sol
Saludos amigos I found a FAB - comprehensive site that offers it all - so why not see what you can do in and around... more travel advice
El Corte Ingles: the Costa Mijas Shopping Centre. It is a spacious and relaxed centre, with the most innovative... more travel advice
- Traps everywhere, big, small, medium...
- Treehugging in Mijas
- I THINK I JUST DIED AND HAVE GONE TO...
- Not the "REAL" andalusian impression ...
iris2002's Related Pages
Mijas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Andalusian Week in Mijas Pueblo"
- "MAGICAL MIJAS"
- "MIJAS PUEBLO"
- "Pueblo Blanco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mijas
- Hotels in Mijas
- Transportation in Mijas
- Nightlife in Mijas
- Restaurants in Mijas
- Shopping in Mijas
- Warnings and Dangers in Mijas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mijas
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Mijas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mijas
- updated a Mijas Travel Page "Pueblo Blanco"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where theis the VT_Meetings..."
- Commented on one of Jim_Eliason's Mijas travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Car Hire versus Public Transport improvement"
- Wrote a Review The best Mijas & surroundings tips in Mijas Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dartmoor National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Reichenau Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mijas Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Okehampton Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Devon Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue