"Benvenuti a Salerno" Top 5 Page for this destination Salerno by iris2002
Salerno Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 147 photos
Salerno is a very beautiful city situated in the middle of two enchanting coasts, the Amalfi and Cilento coasts.
In 194 b.C. it was a Roman colony and was named Salernum.
The city made progress and also enriched its culture and its traditions during the occupation of Goths, Byzantines, Longobards and Normans.
The Goths were defeated by the Greeks whose domination lastes 15 years (from 53 to 568), up to Longobards invaded almost the whole peninsula.
In 786 Arechi II, a Longobard prince, transferred the seat of the Dukedom of Benevento to Salerno, in order to elude Charlemagne's offensive and to secure himself the control of a strategic area, the centre of coastal and internal communications in Campania.
The rewal of the historical centre has been directed towards the rediscovery of the artistic and cultural treasures of an exceptional land.
Salerno appears more and more as a welcoming community for tourists from all over the world with its enchanting historical centre where it is possible to admire both the traces of its ancient history and the fervour of artisan shops and places for cultural and musical aggregation attended by thousands of people.
Salerno is a charming synthesis of what the Mediterranean can offer to anyone who wants to know it more closely.
SALERNO FILM FESTIVAL SEPT 2006
Shadowline Salerno Film Festival
Dates:Jan. 4-Sep. 4, 2006
Address:Piazza S. Agostino, 16 84121 Salerno Italy
Phone:+39 08 92753673
Fax:+39 08 92571125
FILM FESTIVAL WEBSITE
- Pros:want to live there and write my memoires
- Cons:bit damp in the winter
- In a nutshell:Magnifico ! (Like most of Italy and it's people!!!)
SALERNO FILM FESTIVAL SEPT 2006 Shadowline Salerno Film Festival Dates:Jan. 4-Sep. 4, 2006 Location:Salerno,... more travel advice
Collocato tra Paestum e Velia, il Comune di Castellabate e' uno dei piu importanti centri balneari della Costiera... more travel advice
iris2002's Related Pages
Salerno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "S A L E R N O"
- "Benvenuti a Salerno"
- "Salerno and Costiera Amalfitana"
- "Wondertime's new Salerno Page"
- "Salerno = amusing, fun, laughing..."
- "Southern Italy -- Frozen Heaven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salerno
- Hotels in Salerno
- Transportation in Salerno
- Nightlife in Salerno
- Restaurants in Salerno
- Shopping in Salerno
- Warnings and Dangers in Salerno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salerno
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Salerno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salerno
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dartmoor National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Reichenau Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mijas Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Innsbruck Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Okehampton Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Devon Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue