"City of Golden Triangle" Tachilek by edachsund

Tachilek Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 111 photos

Basic of living

I have an argument in my head about Burma. I was pretty sure I have reading it somewhere its a country that you want to explore about. I think back in 2002, last I read about Burma was in one of VT pages which really intrigue me to come and visit. After several years goes by, finally I made the opportunity to explore a litle on Burma state which is in Tachilek.

At first I was not expected the huge arch way 'Union of Myanmar' welcoming me. In my mind, it was something like border crossing between Aranyaprathet to Cambodia. Where the road are dusty, human dragging wooden cart with full of goods. The touts are waiting to fish and all about basic despite of huge arch way and I pretty much ready. So, I was like hmm...interesting!

We stayed in Tachilek for a night. At first we really are going to Keng Tung but unfortunately after discussion made infront of the tourist lady who seems to be very busy made us off to discussed outside of her office. We have to hire a guide from Tachilek if we want to go as far as Keng Tung according to the lady. We have to as she insist this is the rule. We end up staying in Tachilek.

Strolling down the area is quite fun too. We went check out the evening market there. Unlike Chiang rai, the market are very basic for a living. Wet market selling meats, different kind of meats, fruits, vegetables and etc. But this time I came accross this strange creature has been sloughter, skinned out and stinky. The looks like a meercat though but not sure what it was. The snake are normal to see, and a huge rat's were in a cage waiting to be skinned as well. Weird...

• Last visit to Tachilek: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 10, 2010

• picek's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Pity you didn't make it to Kengtung. I have a feeling 'lady' only wanted you to buy her service, but you'd really have to ask more other people to confirm. Well, next time :)

edachsund

“"Definitivamente no existen los llamados pilotos de nacimiento."-Chuck Yeager”

Badges & Stats in Tachilek

Have you been to Tachilek?

Latest Activity in Tachilek