"What's To Love About Berlin (Or Hate)" Berlin by grishaV1
Berlin Travel Guide: 6,962 reviews and 15,611 photos
When I made my first webpage about Berlin, I thought it was simple and straightforward. You can read it below. Yet now I am writing another after living here for almost 2 years now. Its amazing, some people visit Berlin and simply hate it! Others love it! I guess it depends on what you like in life: busy places with lots of people from all over the world, where things change week by week, day by day, second by second it seems sometimes or if you like the quiet villages where you see only the same friends and family who look like you do! Well, Berlin is an amazing city for either persons I believe. Sure it has lots of historical places, tons of museums, art galleries, artists, musicians, film stars, political "big guys", but in places, certain neighborhoods and suburbans are very comfortable and quaint like Wannasee and Zehlendorf.
To me the population of the city seems a majority of university students and young people come from their own countries to study or try the big city life. To me, it seems to have more international peoples than any other German city, both to advantage and disadvantage. You can see punk rockers, skinheads, rastafarians, gay couples kissing on the street, and old traditional holding hands walking through the many parks. Diversity!
Why do I love Berlin? I don't know really, its mostly things about it that I love or that are exciting, though of course like anyplace, its welcome to travel other places as much as possible...... I love to ride the S-bahn train all around "The Ring' and see all the different people getting on and off, looking out over the city.....I love seeing the graffiti, even if its on things maybe it shouldn't be, its always innovative, and you wonder how the hell did they make such big letters so high up on buildings. ....I love waking up in the morning with the curious light from the window listening to the school children clattered and chatter up and down the cobblestone streets.....I love especial to hear the bells on sunday morning echoing the streets.....I love the busy, busy feel of rush hour and push of persons in the bahnhofs.
The people of Berlin can be completely indifferent here and seem unfriendly, or they can be very curious and questioning. Its a city of tolerance and intolerance. Its hard to describe really but its a popular destination for people from all over the world. So many bars, cafes, clubs, dancing and whatever you can imagine for pain or pleasure, whatever your style. Or you can have just a simply life with family, whatever you choose, whenever you want.
What's so special about Berlin? Anything you want to be you can be. Anything you want to experience you can. You can be yourself, and make or break the rules and boundaries of what you knew before. Berlin has its tensions, racial, sexual, historical, national, you name it, but there is no other city I would rather live in.
(a long long time ago, galaxy far far away....)
Berlin's quite a jolly city with lots of museums and things to see and places to go. I like the city but I still cannot say I have a favorite area, maybe a just more familiar area: where we live in Schöneberg. There are many Russians in Berlin as well as Turkish peoples and other groups. Its a very diverse city. Life is a wild experience here sometimes!
There is too much to see and experience in a short trip, so if you can stay a long time or come back again and again that's great. But even living there, many Berliners only see certain parts of it, its so huge! I think you must get out and walk every place there, see every neighborhood. Its what I am trying to do.
There is a lot of history here, some good to remember and learn, other things very terrible but the most of the peoples today are very determined to make a progressive city that welcomes the world even more than it does already. I really do love Berlin!
Pergamon Musuem on Museum Island is a excellent place of history with so many interesting things to see. All fotos on these pages were taken by us in 2003 & 2004, some by traditional 35mm but most by digital.
- Pros:Anything goes
- Cons:Anything goes
- In a nutshell:Huge, trendy, exciting, fun, busy, changing, growing...
I place this under the warning tips but not against Berliners but to warn those who come for a visit.... more travel advice
I think next to Asian restaurants these days, Italian restaurants are the most kinds in Berlin. Everyone offers pizza... more travel advice
- See All Flying From Berlin To Other Locations
- See All All Around the City on Weekends You Will...
- See All Zehlendorf
- See All Alcatraz is Not A Prison
grishaV1's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- "Berlin .... und das ist gut so!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 66 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 69 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
- updated a Berlin Travel Page "What's To Love About Berlin (Or Hate)"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Report Advertising or..."
- Uploaded a Video to Berlin
- Commented on one of Ekaterinburg's Berlin travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Steaks & Spanishce Spezialitäten"
- Wrote a Review Flying From Berlin To Other Locations in Berlin Transportation
Photos in BerlinSee All Photos (93)
Videos in BerlinSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 66 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nashville Intro, 16 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chattanooga Intro, 18 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oranienburg Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tennessee Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Florida Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos