"George is right ..." Matala by Skipka
Matala Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 94 photos
My "welcome to Matala" is worth to mention here. After arrival to Heraklion Airport I jumped to the taxi and headed for Matala. I see, people gave me advice not to take a taxi from airport...but.... if you have lots of luggage and look like ladybird from the back u don't mind it especially if there is 4 am :). Our taxi driver made driving licence in Fitipaldi's garage or so because he went so fast around all those serpentines and curves on the road that I just closed my eyes and muted. Hehe, outside was still darkness so better for us we haven't seen where we go...
Arrival to Matala was amaying. One small circle with fountain at 6 o'clock in the morning near sunrise and no people at all. The whole Matala sleeping just cats said their miaou to us as a welcoming sign.
Right after finding the accomodation in Pension Silvia we did a nap of course but I got up first and started to explore the land around. Nice rocks and places, noise in downtown, special smells and beautiful flora... should u sleep in such a surrounding? Me, not...
That afternoon we climbed the first rock because we were searching for the famous Red Beach and just Sun stopped us to go there directly. U see, when the biggest bulb is going to turn the light off u are not safe in the rocks at all. :) So, I did this wonderful view pic to cuddle your eye :)
And Matala as a small fishery village about I have read turned to the tourist center in some ways. MIni markets, tavernas and coffee shops (right title in the English not in Greek), souvenirs shops etc. A bit dissapointed but it was still one of the less touristic places on the whole island thought. Pension Silvia is situated at the end of the street of hotels and pensions so u have your own peace there and sometimes u hear the bells of sheep so still romantic place. But I have read about virgin Greek countryside discovered by hippies in 60's so should expect something like that. I would like to find place where I am not tourist but stranger. This is not that place anymore.
- Pros:Good climate and great surroundings
- Cons:still too much tourists
- In a nutshell:fishery village pickled in honey :)
Skipka's Related Pages
Matala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "George is right ..."
- "The free spirit of Matala"
- "Matala Crete Holidays"
- "My first visit to Greece - Matala"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matala
- Hotels in Matala
- Transportation in Matala
- Nightlife in Matala
- Restaurants in Matala
- Shopping in Matala
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Matala
- 23 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Matala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matala
Photos in MatalaSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 127 reviews, 165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovakia Intro, 83 reviews, 99 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Matala Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 33 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tulln Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knosos Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heraklion Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue