"George is right ..." Matala by Skipka

Matala Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 94 photos

Welcome to Matala :)

My "welcome to Matala" is worth to mention here. After arrival to Heraklion Airport I jumped to the taxi and headed for Matala. I see, people gave me advice not to take a taxi from airport...but.... if you have lots of luggage and look like ladybird from the back u don't mind it especially if there is 4 am :). Our taxi driver made driving licence in Fitipaldi's garage or so because he went so fast around all those serpentines and curves on the road that I just closed my eyes and muted. Hehe, outside was still darkness so better for us we haven't seen where we go...
Arrival to Matala was amaying. One small circle with fountain at 6 o'clock in the morning near sunrise and no people at all. The whole Matala sleeping just cats said their miaou to us as a welcoming sign.
Quite fascinating...

Bird's view

Right after finding the accomodation in Pension Silvia we did a nap of course but I got up first and started to explore the land around. Nice rocks and places, noise in downtown, special smells and beautiful flora... should u sleep in such a surrounding? Me, not...
That afternoon we climbed the first rock because we were searching for the famous Red Beach and just Sun stopped us to go there directly. U see, when the biggest bulb is going to turn the light off u are not safe in the rocks at all. :) So, I did this wonderful view pic to cuddle your eye :)

And finally Matala in day

And Matala as a small fishery village about I have read turned to the tourist center in some ways. MIni markets, tavernas and coffee shops (right title in the English not in Greek), souvenirs shops etc. A bit dissapointed but it was still one of the less touristic places on the whole island thought. Pension Silvia is situated at the end of the street of hotels and pensions so u have your own peace there and sometimes u hear the bells of sheep so still romantic place. But I have read about virgin Greek countryside discovered by hippies in 60's so should expect something like that. I would like to find place where I am not tourist but stranger. This is not that place anymore.

• Pros:Good climate and great surroundings
  • Cons:still too much tourists
  • In a nutshell:fishery village pickled in honey :)
  • Last visit to Matala: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2003

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Great page. I was in Matala in 1978 and loved it. Don't know about now, though!!!

• kia81's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2006 at 3:41 PM

I will be in Matala from 10th until 17th of August and then to Paleochora...any suggestions? Beautiful photos most of all the ones dedicated to Red beach!!

• Jul 22, 2005 at 3:42 PM

V Matale jsem letos v cervnu stravila velmi prijemny tyden. Ubytovani jsme byli v hotelu Frangiskos. Moc vzpominam a chci se tam jeste nekdy vratit. Zatim se tam vracim jenom virtualne pres internet. Diky za fotky.

• sunsea's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 2:59 AM

Vidim na sta si mislila! Bili smo samo jedno popodne pa na zalost nismo imali vremena za istrazivanje.

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2004 at 6:50 AM

yeah that guy george sure is right..

• Evica's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2004 at 2:48 AM

oh matala and memories ... i would like to be back on Crete ..

• Drphoto's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 11:51 PM

Super place !!! Lovely beach !!

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2004 at 8:20 AM

tks for bringing back to us good memories.....a city to appreciate far from crowds,mainly at the end of the afternoon...then,we share your enthusiasm....and wonderful sunset!

• fassolia's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2004 at 2:46 PM

I'm happy that you liked it although Matala is compeletely ruined by Cretan lack of aesthetics

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2003 at 12:22 AM

Wonderful informative page, Great memory for me...didn´t see the stonehenge ;-))) unfortunately

Skipka

“Roads are for journey not a destination”

Badges & Stats in Matala