"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be ..." Top 5 Page for this destination Slovakia by Skipka
Slovakia Travel Guide: 4,186 reviews and 10,786 photos
Slovakia is the country where is habit to welcome guests by bread and salt to give what is the best. This habit is old Slavian tradition rarely kept today, especially in the towns. But the symbol of bread as the best thing they could give you (locals themselves ate potatoes and bread was just taken like a cake or something in this mean).
Here is the whole country on your hand :) You can easily plan how to escape or where to go :). Be careful on road because there are still really bad routes sometimes :) full of holes and unexpected things on the road itself. But owever, it is more adventurous like going by helicopter...
Anthem is originally the folk song Pri Studienke stala (She stood at the Spring) and the lyrics was written by Janko Matuska - member of Ludovit Stur's movement. He wrote it in 1844 to express his feelings during the demonstrative departure from the Bratislava Lyceum to Levoca in protest against the persecution of Ludovit Stur and the ban on his lectures at the Lyceum.
In Slovak it sounds better but in English it should be like this just to let you know about the content of this lyrics :
There's lightning on the Tatras,
the thunder wildly roars,
There is lightning on the Tatras,
the thunder wildly roars,
Stop it, brothers
See they're dissapearing
The Slovaks are reviving.
Our Slovakia slept soundly until now
But the thunder and lightning
Arouses her from it,
So awaken now !
Original of this text is saved in Matica slovenska Office in Martin.
- Pros:Untouched nature, friendly people
- Cons:Very often like tortoise ; ) slow and little improvements
- In a nutshell:Surprise at every corner
Kapustnica is a great soup (pretty strongly smelling everywhere :)) made of sauerkraut, sausages, smoked bacon, smoked... more travel advice
There are more great termal swimming pools spread in south of Slovakia and you can enjoy little swimming and more... more travel advice
- Everywhere are some tourist traps
- See All Special and romantic
- See All Not true activity but very useful
- See All Important telephone numbers
Skipka's Related Pages
Slovakia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be ..."
- "Under-rated, small-big country!"
- "Slovakia; Czechoslovakia's other half"
- "Our Southern Neighbours"
- "Slovakia - well worth visiting !"
- "Paul2001's Slovakia Page"
- "My Slovakia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovakia
- Hotels in Slovakia
- Transportation in Slovakia
- Nightlife in Slovakia
- Restaurants in Slovakia
- Shopping in Slovakia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovakia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Slovakia
- 297 Reviews
- 436 Photos
- 47 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Slovakia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovakia
- Posted in Travel Bratislava Forum "Re: VISITNG BRATISLAVA FOR 3 ..."
- Wrote a Review Don't miss special Xmas and New Year's Soup in Slovakia Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't miss special Xmas and New Year's Soup"
- created a Slovakia Travelogue "Devin the symbol of Slavic History"
- Commented on one of SanguiniA's Slovakia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 127 reviews, 165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovakia Intro, 83 reviews, 99 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 33 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 37 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Matala Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxembourg Intro, 33 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tulln Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Knosos Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heraklion Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue