"Wingene - quiet place near Brugge" Wingene by Groentje
Wingene Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 16 photos
Once in every three years (this year as well), there's a big fair going through the streets of Wingene. I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Flanders, people are fond of fairs going through streets; they tend to get a good crowd.
The one in Wingene is called the "Breugelstoet", and it goes out at the end of August. Breugel, a famous Belgian painter, supposedly lived in Wingene for a couple of years and this is celebrated every now and then. On Saturday they usually have a thing called "Pintje-Dek", which is really nothing more than going from pub to pub and drink gallons of beer, just like in the good old Breugelian days. They put a biscuit of some sorts on top of every beer you order, which makes it probably a very fattening evening.
The day after is when the fair goes out. It starts at three, and goes through the small streets of Wingene, which are then mostly packed with (old) people from Wingene, and invitees from everywhere. Haven't seen that many foreigners, though...
Maybe a good idea for in 2005? Think about it :-)
Wingene is where I grew up. There's not a lot to be seen, really... It's just a village like every other village here in Flanders, Belgium.
The thing it is actually best-known for, is its many, MANY pigs. Actually, there are more pigs than people in Wingene :-)
I have lived in Wingene for about 22 years, after which I moved to Gent (for information on the lovely city of Gent, see my Gent pages). It is here that I find most of my friends. I was a member of the KAJ (still am actually) since 1992 and this was a very good place to meet and get to know people. Some of them are still my best friends and I see them practically every week.
- Pros:Breugel every three years; many friendly people
- Cons:very quiet; not always something to do; sometimes a bit "closed"
Yes, you read it right: we have won the Stokbaltornooi again! This splendid tournament organised by a youth movement... more travel advice
Well, when I'm in Wingene, I simply have to see my parents! They still live in Wingene, and have done so practically all... more travel advice
Groentje's Related Pages
Wingene Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Wingene
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Wingene?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wingene
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 12 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gent Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Wingene Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hasselt 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Howth Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Brasília Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue