"Glendalough - Ancient Ireland!" Top 5 Page for this destination Glendalough Lakes by Groentje

Glendalough Lakes Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 192 photos

Get on the bus, forget about us...

One of the great things about Dublin is that you can go to something completely different, and get there in about an hour's drive! We went for a bit of a tour with Tir na Nog Tours, guided by wonderful Helen, who told us all about Dublin, Ireland, catholics/protestants, Glendalough, fairies, Michael Collins, Braveheart, Guinness... To cut things short: all the wonderful things in life!
One thing she might have told us beforehand was that we had the worst seats in the bus. One General Tip: don't sit on the back bench!!! At least, if you don't want any bumps on your head...

Herman's Hermits

Glendalough was the place where St. Kevin, a somewhat weird monk, built a couple of structures. The picture on the right hand side shows St. Kevin's Church, also called St. Kevin's Kitchen, as it looks a lil' bit like a kitchen. Logical, isn't it? The church wasn't really built by this Kevin guy, but by his worshippes, who thought he was pretty cool!
He didn't like the attention too much, and decided to go to the lakes and cut himself a house in the rocks. It was very hard to find, but this woman/girl, who kinda liked him (big time) found it anyway. She found him sleeping, and put herself beside him, only a little bit undressed. Well, okay, she was completely stark naked!
When Kevin woke up and saw her lying there, he went berserk and threw her into the lake! If you ask me there are other ways to tell someone that you don't like her...
Anyway, I'm drifting off. Ever since that incident, no bird has been spotted above one of the two lakes. I must say that when I was there 1. it was too windy and 2. it was too cold for birds to fly over...

Nature's Beauty

As you can see on the picture, weather wasn't thát good on that particular day. This is the lake where no bird ever flies over. Maybe a good idea to put a webcam there to check out the accuracy!
We had a great walk to get here, crossing water, seeing many many birds (really! but not over this lake...), many different kinds of trees, waterfalls, ...

• Pros:Wonderful Nature, nice stories by the guide
  • Cons:Very cold! But that's not a real con
  • In a nutshell:This whole trip was just fantastic and really worth the money!
  • Last visit to Glendalough Lakes: Nov 2002
  • Intro Written Feb 20, 2003

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 2:00 PM

a nice page about a great place to go !

• PeteNL's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2004 at 11:36 AM

Nice pictures and great writing! Bedankt voor het commentaar op mijn Heerenveen pagina, die van jou ziet er goed uit! (en rap gemaakt!)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2003 at 7:51 PM

You have "the gift of gab!" and it's wonderful to read. I smiled all the way through. You show a great love of life.

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2003 at 5:48 AM

I wish I'd read your tales here before I visited Glendalough two weeks ago...then I would have been laughing through the whole tour, I suspect! It's a beautiful spot of earth though, sighhhh! ;-D

• Alain_Smeets's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2003 at 3:21 AM

And did you already installed a webcam over there? Prachtige foto's en goede info, ik zal daar volgende maand zelf eens naar die vogelkes gaan kijken.

Groentje

“Carpe Diem!”

Badges & Stats in Glendalough Lakes

Have you been to Glendalough Lakes?

Latest Activity in Glendalough Lakes