"Howth - Visit by Ikeneur" Howth by Groentje
Howth Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 587 photos
A friend of mine recently moved to Tallaght, near Dublin, to go and work there for a couple of months (years? decades?), and I decided to pay her a little visit. As I had already been in Dublin before and knew the city centre quite well, we went for a more distant place, and we picked Howth as our destination for the day. As I had to already catch my plane back to Belgium in the late afternoon, we did not have thát much time, but already enough to enjoy this wonderful coastal village.
We took the green DART, a kind of metro-like train system servicing Dublin and its surroundings, to Howth. After a bit of a wait (during which we could look at all the Gaelic Football supporters arriving for a big game at Lansdowne Road), we finally went off, and about 20 mins later we arrived near the Howth station. Near, I must say, as the train stopped about 10 metres from the deck and just stood there for five minutes :-)
There are indicators everywhere that lead you to the Pier, walking past a nice yacht port and arriving after a 10 minutes' walk at the actual pier, where I had our picture aside taken by a friendly Irishman.
It describes the feeling there very well: you wonder about the sea, the wind that is blowing in your face, ...
There are actually a lot of things you can do in Howth. You can go for a walk along the pier, go and see where King Edward first set foot on Irish territory, walk up the hills and get a view on Dublin, visit the ruins of an Abbey, eat fish at "The Bloody Stream", visit the transport museum near the Castle, play a game of golf (also near the castle), ...
Everything you need for a nature-filled day away from Dublin!
- Pros:Small and manageable; many walking opportunities; just lovely!
- In a nutshell:Howth - a short trip from Dublin, but definitely worth it!
Not too much to do around here; there's a hall next to it where they displayed local art when we were there. But I just... more travel advice
Apparently some people pick this spot as their "final destination", "last stop before heaven", "ultimate view" in life,... more travel advice
Groentje's Related Pages
Howth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Howth - 'The finest view west of Naples'"
- "Howth and Malahide: Great Dublin Day Trips"
- "Howth IS Magic!"
- "A great daytrip from Dublin!"
- "Just 30 minutes from Dublin..."
- "Beauty awaits ... just 30 minutes outside Dublin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Howth
- Hotels in Howth
- Transportation in Howth
- Nightlife in Howth
- Restaurants in Howth
- Shopping in Howth
- Warnings and Dangers in Howth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Howth
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Howth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Howth
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 37 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 12 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gent Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Wingene Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hasselt 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Howth Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Brasília Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue