"Howth - Visit by Ikeneur" Howth by Groentje

Howth Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 587 photos

Getting away from Dublinese madness

A friend of mine recently moved to Tallaght, near Dublin, to go and work there for a couple of months (years? decades?), and I decided to pay her a little visit. As I had already been in Dublin before and knew the city centre quite well, we went for a more distant place, and we picked Howth as our destination for the day. As I had to already catch my plane back to Belgium in the late afternoon, we did not have thát much time, but already enough to enjoy this wonderful coastal village.

DARTing through the peninsula

We took the green DART, a kind of metro-like train system servicing Dublin and its surroundings, to Howth. After a bit of a wait (during which we could look at all the Gaelic Football supporters arriving for a big game at Lansdowne Road), we finally went off, and about 20 mins later we arrived near the Howth station. Near, I must say, as the train stopped about 10 metres from the deck and just stood there for five minutes :-)
There are indicators everywhere that lead you to the Pier, walking past a nice yacht port and arriving after a 10 minutes' walk at the actual pier, where I had our picture aside taken by a friendly Irishman.
It describes the feeling there very well: you wonder about the sea, the wind that is blowing in your face, ...
Just perfect!

Far too little time!

There are actually a lot of things you can do in Howth. You can go for a walk along the pier, go and see where King Edward first set foot on Irish territory, walk up the hills and get a view on Dublin, visit the ruins of an Abbey, eat fish at "The Bloody Stream", visit the transport museum near the Castle, play a game of golf (also near the castle), ...
Everything you need for a nature-filled day away from Dublin!

• Pros:Small and manageable; many walking opportunities; just lovely!
  • Cons:euhm...
  • In a nutshell:Howth - a short trip from Dublin, but definitely worth it!
  • Last visit to Howth: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2003

• prleprle's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2003 at 8:32 AM

Photos was taken in August? I though at first that was October or so... Anyway, it's very romantic place (not only for retiered people!)... fine presentation.

• Lochlainn's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2003 at 5:48 AM

Great job describing the old home town. I used attend services in St Mary's in my childhood at Christmas and Harvest. Very nostalgic. Thanx

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2003 at 5:59 PM

so short that you only have one pic of the place? ;-) I'll be in Dublin next month and I will do my damnedest to take the train to Howth, to see for myself!

Groentje